We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does it take to walk around Island?

Michigan
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Topic
How long does it take to walk around Island?

I thought about walking around the Island and was wondering how long it takes to do it? Is it worth it?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long does it take to walk around Island?

3 hours more or less. I think doing it on a bicycle is more fun.

Level Contributor
790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long does it take to walk around Island?

It's 8 miles. How long it takes depends on how quickly you walk, and how long you spend stopped looking at things.

I agree that a bike would make the trip much more fun, but it is nice to get away from the touristy main area of the island for a bit more nature. If you don't want to do the whole 8 miles, there is at least one trail that cuts through the center of the island from one side to the other. It's been too long since I was there, though, so can't tell you anymore exactly how to find it.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long does it take to walk around Island?

I just wanted to add to the last comment. Can't tell you exactly how to find it either, it's the road to the airport (Garrison maybe). Anyway its worth knowing that if you start in town, it's two miles of down hill riding. If you come from the backside of the island toward town, it's two miles up hill. Might make a difference for some : )

Mackinac Island, MI
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How long does it take to walk around Island?

As others have mentioned, the amount of time depends on how fast you walk, and how often you stop. The road around the Island is fairly flat.

The only way to reach the interior is to go uphill. How you go uphill is the variable. Some routes are steep but quick, others are series after series of hills --- smaller grades but seeming endless sometimes.

There are many ways to reach the interior from Shore Road. There are stairways leading up from Shore Road to Arch Rock on the southeast end of the Island,

on the southwest there is a stairway near the west bluff. In both cases you can then explore the interior (once you are up there) and head back downtown from numerous locations.

British Landing Road is a popular place to turn inward--mostly because folks don't know any better. It is that route that entails the endless series of smaller hills. It does lead past the airport.

From the town area, Fort Hill is fairly steep but gets you to the interior fairly rapidly. Located just west of Fort Mackinac, you come out next to the Governor's summer mansion.

MILLINGTON
Level Contributor
15 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long does it take to walk around Island?

If it's any help, I was sixty-five the last time I walked around the island. I have pretty severe arthritis and we really took our time and the walk was very nice. I plan to do it again this June, and I'm now 68. It probably took us about three hours not counting the time we spent at the snackbar on the backside of the island.

Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long does it take to walk around Island?

If considering a walk around the island, don't miss some of the trails on the interior, they can be quite beautiful, and provide a different perspective...around Memorial day, you may encounter patches of trillium carpeting the forest floor. You may even find some "lady slippers".

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long does it take to walk around Island?

Many years the trillium and lady slippers are still there far into June. Spring comes late on Mackinac Island.

Spring Lake...
Level Contributor
173 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long does it take to walk around Island?

Go onto the chamber of commerce site and it will show maps of the island and show all the miles of trails, bike paths, bike trails and roads. It is approx 8.2 miles around and like others posted is pretty flat.

I would not walk it but rather bike around-you can cover more ground in the amount of time and see more of the island that way. Either way it is beautiful up there!!

Have fun with whatever you choose!!

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long does it take to walk around Island?

windduster probably already had a nice trip. The question was posted 7 months ago.

Michigan
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How long does it take to walk around Island?

Yes, we had a very nice trip. We end up going every year though. So I might make it all around the Island this year. We did walk some, but we plan on taking bikes this year.