We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

ymk
Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

Calling all ladies who have traveled to Mackinac, especially those who have experienced dinner and dancing at the Grand Hotel:

My husband and I will be traveling to Mackinac (for the first time) for our first anniversary . We plan to have dinner at the Grand Hotel and then go dancing afterwards.

My question really is, I've read that guests/non-guests are required to wear evening formals at the Grand Hotel after 6 p.m., especially at dinner. I know the men can wear a suit and tie but am not really sure what the women's "finest couture" would be.

Do I need to wear a long dress, is it a gown-type of couture or would anything dressy be acceptable as long as it's not a sundress or a casual dress? Something slightly below the knee perhaps? I do not want to be inappropriate.

As for the rest of our stay in Mackinac, I can safely assume that some places a sportcoat/business casual for men would be acceptable and casual dresses for women would be fine. Of course, exploring the outdoors would require a more rugged outfit :).

Many thanks for all the ladies who can give me attire tips.

God bless.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

It has been a few years since our night at the Grand, but I would say a nice dress would be appropriate. Not a sundress, but certainly not a "gown" either. My personal measure would be "Sunday best".

As for the rest of the island, casual is suitable most places. Remember, most people are walking/riding bikes the whole time, so comfort is the key. If you are going out in the evening, you can dress for it if you want, but it isn't necessary. I think The Woods might be the only place you may want to dress up a bit.

ymk
Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

kdets89:

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. Your answer puts my mind at rest. I tend to be type "A" :) about details. I just want our first anniversary and our first time there to be fun and memorable.

Thank you. God bless.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

I understand what you mean about type A planning to the last detail. That is totally me. Just remember to relax and enjoy yourself and this time with your husband. Explore the island at a leisurely pace. Take a long stroll on the boardwalk at sunset!!

Say "hi" to the island for me. We may not be able to make it this year and I'm bummed!

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

My question is the opposite side of the spectrum. I am going to stay at the Grand for the first time next week. I have two fancy dresses I wore as the mother of the bride last week. I thought I might wear those to dinner because it would be a shame not to use them again. What do you think, based on what you observed? I worry that it might be overdoing it... The dress I am most concerned with is a floor length chiffon type dress with a lightly sequined jacket.

Michigan
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

I have never been to dinner at the Grand Hotel. But I have been in their lobby and the front porch. By the looks of the dining room it is very fancy. The shops downtown carry dresses to buy if you are going to have dinner at the Grand Hotel. The dresses I have seen for sale are fancier than your Sunday best. I think you could wear your dresses. I also heard that some guys wear tuxedos. I guess it depends on how your husband is dressed. Call the hotel and put your mind at ease. All the hotels on the Island don't seem to mind answering questions.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

Thanks, wind duster! Sounds good to me. I certainly would rather wear my dresses again and definitely will not have $ to buy more clothes after this lavish anniversary stay at the Grand. My husband bought a complete outfit for the wedding too, so we will be well coordinated.

Mackinac Island, MI
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

I think you'll find that the Dining Room for lunch is along the lines of

Sunday Best....but dinner attire for most guests is dressier. Your wedding attire should fit right in....

it is a very big dining area and with that many people you will see both ends of the 'dress up' spectrum. (Barely dressy to fabulously formal). Hope you have a great time..

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

I didn't feel uncomfortable in casual wear in the dinning room for lunch. Most folks were dressed that way.

Michigan
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

I have been to the Grand and it is a beautiful hotel and you can be as formal as you like. For the rooms, I was not that impressed. We stayed in The Wicker Room and I was disappointed that the room it looked like it had water damage. The curtains were stained as well as the wall paper. It has been a few years since we were there so hopefully that has been taken care of. As for the dining, there is few that compare. It is elegant and is definately a "must eat there" place. It is a place to see and a place to be seen. As a female.......I dress to impress. Why not wear thoses one time dresses again. The gardens and the pool are great. When at the Grand ...dress for the Grand. When out and about dress as you please. It is hard to be all that spiffed up with everyone on bicycles and the smell of manure in the air.

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear and what "not" to wear at the Grand Hotel...

Seems that the jacket + tie in the evening is optional if you are a VIP, e.g. Dick Vitale (of college basketball fame) is sitting in the parlor -right now- in Bermuda shorts, a white long-sleeved white oxford (no tie), and leather shoes (no socks) while every man walks around in the jacket + tie (including me).