We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Kalamazoo Trip Review

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Our Kalamazoo Trip Review

Had a nice couple of days in Kalamazoo while my hubby was there for work. Stayed at the Staybridge Suites, 2001 Seneca Lane. Off of Stadium Dr and just east of US131. Would definitely go back. Big rooms, great hot breakfast buffet, very nice staff, indoor pool, and nice couryard area with tables and grills. It looked like they had some yummy eats in the evening (I think Tues - Thurs), but we had plans to eat out (should have eaten in...see below).

The hotel is an easy 4 miles away from the downtown area and about 7 miles to the Air Zoo. We visited the Kalamazoo Valley Museum (always free admission). We spent about 1 1/2 hours there. Also visited the Air Zoo, which has free general admission this summer. We've been there before, but wanted to go back to see the Space exhibits that they added since we were there last.

I really wanted to eat at Kevins a Tavern the River at Warners Vineyard, which is about 15 min east of Kalamazoo off of I-94. I have had some really nice dinners at winery restaurants in the past and couldn't wait to go. I knew we would miss Warner's tasting since they close at 5pm and we would be getting there until around 5:30pm. I thought maybe the restaurant would have flights of wine and sell Warner's wine. Come to find out the restaurant is separate from the winery. The food was decent, but not well presented. I got the filet mignon, which was just a piece of meat on a plate (no zip sauce or reduction sauce) with a dollop of tasteless mashed potatoes and a side of diced carrots. My husband got the roast beef that was presented as mine was. We were at least expecting some gravy on roast beef. We did get there before 6pm so our glasses of wine were 1/2 off and we paid by cash to save another 10%, which helped in easing the disappointment.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Kalamazoo Trip Review

Thank you for your TR. More people need to do this. I am glad you had a nice time. We are going campng in the area later in the summer and plan on seeing the Air Zoo-wow, free admission. I will be sure and note that!

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Kalamazoo Trip Review

Thanks for the TR and glad you enjoyed your short stay. The Air-Zoo has free admission through September. Sorry to hear about Kevin's in Paw Paw. We hadn't been there for a while and went there a week ago and were also disappointed. The service wasn't the best and our chicken dish was lukewarm and had a thick, floury gravy on it. I wish it were better since the owner's so nice.

We always end up at La Cantina (great Italian, pizza, ribs) and Bistro 120 (great soups, desserts, huge portions, try the Paw Paw steak)in Paw Paw. You might try these on your next visit to the area.

3. Re: Our Kalamazoo Trip Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 12:05
Get answers to your questions about Kalamazoo