We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for rainy days with kids

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
21 reviews
Advice for rainy days with kids

Traveling to GH with two kids - age 6 and 8. What are some good ideas for rainy days? I appreciate any advice!!

9 replies to this topic
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Advice for rainy days with kids

Usually 'rainy days' here consists of a shower or thunderstorm or two for a fraction of the day but worse comes to worse the town has a museum in two buildings seperated by around two blocks which are free and will use a little time. Just north is Muskegon, MI. They have The Lakes Mall, a public free museum great for kids, a ship and a sub museum. An indoor waterpark is found just north of that (Double JJ Resort). Also consider the Grand Rapids, MI public museum around 45 minutes east. (or the Childrens Museum)

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Advice for rainy days with kids

Should also be noted that family fun centers are many across the region too. The largest being Craigs Cruisers of Wyoiming, MI having virtually everything. See tourst info sites on www.beachtowns.org www.experiencegr.com and www.wmta.org

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
195 reviews
3. Re: Advice for rainy days with kids

There's also a Craig's Cruisers less than 10 minutes north of GH on Pontaluna Road. You could also make the short (15 mile) drive to Holland and visit some of the Dutch attractions as well as the downtown area.

Honestly, Grand Haven is more of an outdoor-focused area, so most of the activities are weather dependent. However, we've had a beautiful summer - if you like heat, sunshine and very little rain - so I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. Just relax and enjoy yourselves.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Advice for rainy days with kids

Great advice - especially the part about relaxing and not worrying 😊. Thank you!!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Advice for rainy days with kids

Looks like from prier post you have gotten to know the Grand Haven area quite well. Awesome to hear. Do note the pier, last I knew (if wrong Topfan will correct) the pier was still closed for the overhaul of it. But north pier is still open.

Hopefully you have had the chance to hike some of the beautiful parks in the area. If out for a short drive you could always consider something different, like Robbison rd to several nice park areas along the river, Allendale to visit the largest historic firehouse in the region (originally from Grand Rapids/ neat history) or the Tractor and Farm Museum/historical museum in Coopersville, MI a nice little town to take a quick walk and admire some old railroad equipment. Remember the drive inn theater too in Norton Shores, MI kind of a neat way to experience history.

If you have not already done, download some tour maps of Grand Haven to fart around with too for historic sites and places to see. Like five mile hill or sit on the bench on the hill a bit south of the pier. Cannot remember the street name. I really enjoyed the setting of the cemetary too. Not generally a tourist attraction but it truly is scenic.

Thanks for all your visits to the area. Hoping this visit is another awesome visit for you and your whole family.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Advice for rainy days with kids

Not that I have not already exhausted my suggestions but I will throw in my ma really has enjoyed the place https://turkstavern.com/ if you do go inland. Also, perhaps a drop further than Saugatuck Dune Rides, consider Silver Lake www.thinkdunes.com for a change of pace. The dune hills are quite amazing.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Advice for rainy days with kids

I thought I’d document our good find! On our grand haven rainy day, we drove about 45 mins SE to Allegan Event. It was amazing! They had an indoor ropes course, indoor ziplines and amazing rock climbing walls. My 5 and 8 year old spent 3 hours and loved every moment. It made our rainy day a very good one. Something to keep in mind for other families trying to escape the rain-filled days!

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
195 reviews
8. Re: Advice for rainy days with kids

Just an FYI...the Grand Haven pier IS open. There's just no catwalk yet. But stay off when waves are going over it.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Advice for rainy days with kids

Thanks for sharing. I suppose they had the zipline over the river closed today though. Ironic. Today I believe we have seen more consistant rain than we have all summer (and spring). The place just fully opened up in March. https:/…

Topfan, thankyou for the pier update.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 06:05
Reply to: Advice for rainy days with kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Haven