We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort towns / villages within 3 hour drive of Detroit

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Best resort towns / villages within 3 hour drive of Detroit

All:

Please advise on your favourite Michigan / Ohio / Indiana resort towns / villages which are within about a 3 hour drive from Detroit. Places like Frankenmuth, for instance, but not necessarily themed. I am thinking also of places like Grand Bend, Ontario - if any of you have been there.

Thanks in advance

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resort towns / villages within 3 hour drive of Detroit

I love Grand Bend, we make it there every few years. That would have been one of my suggestions.

I’m a big fan of Grand Haven and Saugatuck. Both are charming and fun on located on Lake Michigan. If you’re looking for something on Lake Huron I would suggest Tawas.

If you want a slightly longer drive (around 4 hours from Detroit) I would suggest Petoskey or Mackinac Island.

Level Contributor
3,510 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resort towns / villages within 3 hour drive of Detroit

Gaylord is always a nice destination. If you want to be by water, check out the Houghton and Higgins Lake area.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resort towns / villages within 3 hour drive of Detroit

Our cottage is on Otsego Lake in Gaylord, and we love it!! There's a couple of rental places on the lake.. Check it out!

Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
139 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resort towns / villages within 3 hour drive of Detroit

Although I have not actually stayed in this area, I drove from Port Austin thru Caseville into Bay City, which is in the thumb area of Michigan, just a couple hours from Detroit, and this seems like a great place to rent a cottage for a summer vacation on the lake. Something I hope to do in the future.

Michigan
Level Contributor
136 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best resort towns / villages within 3 hour drive of Detroit

Higgins lake I totally agree with. But why would you point anyone toward that weedy murky Houghton lake? Its good for fishing thats about it and the hotel selection is lousy as well

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
649 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best resort towns / villages within 3 hour drive of Detroit

Hocking Hills in Ohio was wonderful in July. Probably better in spring when the water is running. Grand Rapids is alot of fun and close to Lake Michigan.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best resort towns / villages within 3 hour drive of Detroit

U might try South Haven, St. Joseph and Saugatuck, which are all close enough together you could visit each one. And it is about a 3 hours drive from Detroit. They have cute shopping, nice beaches and parks, a slew of restaurants, bars etc., beautiful home and nice neighborhoods to take a walk in, hiking/biking, water sports, Lake Michigan, rivers, etc., apple/fruit farms/orchards, wineries, attractions (theatre, museums etc).

Dowagiac, Michigan
Level Contributor
38 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best resort towns / villages within 3 hour drive of Detroit

Dowagiac Michigan is a great small town with some nice restaurants- great entertainment on the weekends at Round Oak Restaurant- lakes all over the place, snowmobile trails, a ski lodge about 15 miles away, lots of golf courses, etc......... about 3 hours from Detroit in the Southwest corner. Southwestern Michigan College has a great museum, we have the Heddon Museum for fishing fans, and lots of beautiful wilderness. If you come our way, I'll be a tour guide for you!

9. Re: Best resort towns / villages within 3 hour drive of Detroit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2011, 12:46