We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockport in mid September

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
445 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rockport in mid September

I've been to Rockport a few years ago - only for a day trip. I really love the town! I'm considering staying at The Seaward Inn.

1. Are there any beaches nearby where you can swim? or at least walk the shoreline? from what I remember, most of the shoreline is rocky. I loved the unspoiled beauty of this but wondered if there is also any area nearby where we could walk the beach as well?

2. will all the shops and restaurants be open during the week of Sept. 13?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give me!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockport in mid September

Of course, you can walk the beaches, but these usually are not long expanses of open beach area with sanddunes, etc. They are small and usually rocky, as you've already noted. You can swim, but the water will likely be much colder than you're used to. By mid September, some shops and galleries likely will have switched to be opened just on weekends, but you should find a good assortment open during the week as well.

Hershey
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockport in mid September

We visit Rockport every September or early October. We have found most shops and restaurants to be open. Weekends do of course tend to be busier. As for walking the beach, we like Cape Hedge. Be sure to watch the tides as the beach is gone at high tide. Good Harbor beach in Gloucester is our favorite, though. It is a bit more expansive and sandy and has great views.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
445 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockport in mid September

thanks for your responses. I am watching the weather channel at present - sure hope the predicted Hurricane Earl doesn't cause any problems for the area (plus 3 more hurricanes lurking out in sea as well!) my husband is having fun with the whole thing though! There was a Nor'easter move through when I was in Rockport back around 10 yrs. ago. That was enough for me but he is joking that he wouldn't mind seeing one!! The Nor'easter didn't cause me any problem then (it did rain all day and became really windy that evening which caused the door of the cottage where we were staying to rattle all night!)

I am praying that these storms dissipate quickly -- their force is no laughing matter in my book! The devastation they can cause is heartbreaking!!

4. Re: Rockport in mid September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 13:03
Get answers to your questions about Rockport