We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day/Schooner Regatta

Raleigh, North...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Labor Day/Schooner Regatta

I typically travel to Ptown during late August, but am contemplating going up for the first weekend in September this year. I see the the Schooner Regatta is taking place that week. I have no interest in boats, will the boat people be taking over Ptown? Will it be a good crowd?

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day/Schooner Regatta

"Boat people" ... "taking over". Not quite sure how to respond to that.

It sounds like you're familiar with Provincetown already. So, as you know, Provincetown always has a wonderfully diverse crowd and lots going on for everyone with a wide variety of interests.

Will avid yachtsmen/women be coming to town for the Schooner Regatta? Absolutely! Just as they come to Hyannis for the Figawi regatta on Memorial Day weekend.

Are visitors who "have no interest in boats" forced to don Izods and Topsiders, and sing sea chanteys at the bars? Not so much.

Whatever your idea of a good time and a "good crowd" is - I have no doubt you'll find it in Provincetown on Labor Day weekend, just as you have during your visits in late August.

Come and enjoy!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day/Schooner Regatta

I have never been in Provincetown for the Schooner Week but I have been there during other event weeks such as Circuit Week, Bear Week, Leather Weekend, Girl Splash, Portugeuse Festival, Tennessee Williams Festival plus the Garden Tour, Historic House Tour and Pet Appreciation Weekend. During none of these events would you find anyone "taking over" and if you want to ignore the boats I am sure that would not be a problem.

And I have to believe that anyone associated with schooners would not be an undesirable that you would not care to associate with. Go for it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day/Schooner Regatta

For many years we were down there for part of this event. We used to take the week before Labor Day and the week after. The town is pretty quiet that week and the boat folks seemed very nice. We enjoyed watching the beautiful schooners in the harbor and took advantage of visiting the ones at the docks.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
180 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day/Schooner Regatta

I don't know if I'd agree that during many of the theme weeks noted above that you wouldn't find anyone "taking over". I find it to be the opposite (not that it has been a problem to me).

During many "theme" weeks the town becomes inundated with a certain "type" of people, depending on how popular that theme week is. Bear week - town will be loaded with friendly bears and bars will play disco. 4th of July with be younger, less friendly circuit boys. Family week will have many gay and straight parents with kids including dirty diapers in the pools. Woman's week in Oct, well you guessed it.... And it will guide your experience in town hopefully for the better.

I try to avoid theme weeks because it started to feel like I was attending something and less of a vacation. I also think the town looses some of it's diversity on those weeks. That being said, I have enjoyed experiencing the various theme weeks but now have my preference.

Though I have never gone to Ptown during Regatta, definitely expect a lot of boating enthusiast. If this is going to be a problem, avoid that week then. If you are gay, I am sure the nightlife isn't going to be packed with skippers. I am sure that week won't be like bear week where the town is overwhelmed with bears. You'll never know until you try it.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 02:12
5. Re: Labor Day/Schooner Regatta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 16:12