We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of Carnival week questions....

Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
589 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of Carnival week questions....

Hello TA peeps!

I am just starting my research for our return trip to Ptown for the Fantasy parade. This past summer my girlfriends and I went on a day-bus-trip (yes, I know), and had decided by the end of the evening that we HAD to stay over next year. I'm now a little overwhelmed, having been to quite a few different websites on the subject. We had originally talked of renting a house, but after a little reading, now realize August is week-long rentals only (same here in Newport, should have known!) We want to come in on Wednesday, and leave either Friday or Saturday. Can anyone recommend several hotels, B&B's, or Inns that would be the best idea for a group of 8 women staying 2 or 3 nights? We're all walkers, so location does not matter, though I don't think we want to walk in from Truro ; ) Also looking for something simple and not high-end. I know we need to get going on this now, hopefully there's still "room at the inn"!

Thanks in advance for any info!

PS I'm very bummed I didn't win the 2011 theme contest--I really thought I had the best one! I'll save it for next year I guess....

Mentioned in this post
Truro
Truro
Cape Cod, MA
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
180 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of Carnival week questions....

Most accommodations are Bed and Breakfasts. You are going to have a hard time finding accommodations for your stay as most B&B's require 5 nights.

Additionally, Carnival is the most busiest week in Ptown and I think you are going to have a hard time finding availability. Most people book a year in advance for this event.

Edited: 12 January 2011, 04:51
boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of Carnival week questions....

You may have better luck getting the reservations you want at a hotel rather than a guest house, even though the hotels generally get lower ratings than Ptown's guest houses. They are larger and have more flexibility. Try the Surfside in the East End and the Provincetown Inn in the West End. Both are on the water and have direct beach access. Both are a relatively long walk from the center of town, but not all the way to Truro. If you are driving, both have parking.

Edited: 14 January 2011, 06:58
Mentioned in this post
Truro
Truro
Cape Cod, MA
boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of Carnival week questions....

You may have better luck getting the reservations you want at a hotel rather than a guest house, even though the hotels generally get lower ratings than Ptown's guest houses. They are larger and have more flexibility. Try the Surfside in the East End and the Provincetown Inn in the West End. Both are on the water and have direct beach access. Both are a relatively long walk from the center of town, but not all the way to Truro.

Mentioned in this post
Truro
Truro
Cape Cod, MA
Connecticut
Level Contributor
223 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of Carnival week questions....

Cape Inn, The Tides Breakwater motel, Provincetown Inn, The Gifford House (actually IN TOWN!), and a very few other places accept lesser stays than the B&Bs and posher inns, however they suffer in amenities and are realistically just motels. You'll need to rely upon the town itself for the beauty. The Cape Inn & Tides Breakwater are easy shuttles into town and face the bay beach right on 6A just before it forks into Commercial & Bradford Streets. Provincetown Inn is WAY over on the West End near the breakwater, the Pilgrim Plaque, and the Red Inn and has a large, free public pool. The rooms in all three places I mentioned are generic, but both offer outdoor beauty unmatched by any other motel I know of. The Gifford House is an inn situated on top of two noisy bars and a restaurant. The rooms are inexpensive and the facility is right in the center of town, but it's extremely no-frills and loud from 11pm to 1am.

All of these places are double occupancy (even if the room has two beds), so do not be surprised if four people in one room get an extra person surcharge of ten or twenty dollars nightly.... it's still economical. Two double beds per room can house four women.... requiring only two rooms, if all of you can work out the restroom shifts and clutter of personal belongings.

Nonetheless, you'll have no luck with B&Bs or small inns. I'd focus on the places wbp657 or I mentioned for best results. (PS, my idea didn't get chosen either, but I'm not worried... no matter the theme, P-town always pulls it off beautifully.)

Mentioned in this post
Pilgrim Plaque
Pilgrim Plaque
31 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Red Inn
Red Inn
101 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of Carnival week questions....

Look at The Cape Colony Inn (capecolonyinn.com) which is located on Bradford Street in the East End and a nice walk along Commercial Street into the center of town. This is a basic motel with a pool, air conditioning and free parking. They take reservations for shorter stays. On your dates you could get the "suite" with 3 double beds for $285 and then a separate room with 2 double beds for $235. These rooms are still available, but there is only one "suite" on the property, so if there is an interest, I'd suggest booking this ASAP.

Edited: 03 February 2011, 21:12
Mentioned in this post
Cape Colony Inn
Cape Colony Inn
1,209 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Commercial Street
Commercial Street
1,912 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
6. Re: Couple of Carnival week questions....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2012, 11:06
Get answers to your questions about Provincetown
Recent Conversations