We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water temperature - is it really true?

Level Contributor
293 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Water temperature - is it really true?

Hi everyone - I was checking this website on water temperatures on the Atlantic ocean and it said tha that the temperature in Woods Hole is about 65 degrees right now. Is this really true? It seems quite warm for this time of the year.

Also, any idea what the water temp is in P-Town these days?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Water temperature - is it really true?

I don't mind swimming in 65 degree water, but it is chillier than you think. Just that much more refreshing.

P-town water temp? All depends on whether you're talking about a beach facing the wild Atlantic like Race Point or a beach like Long Point facing Cape Cod Bay. I'll guesstimate that Race Point is upper 50's and somewhere like Long Point is low 60's.

Level Contributor
293 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water temperature - is it really true?

Thanks Will. I'm hoping the warm weather that's anticipated for the next week or two will warm up with waters...fingers crossed!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
981 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water temperature - is it really true?

Currently the water temperature around Cape Cod is given as 64F to 67F (18-19C), so it should be warm enough for swimming soon if we have a stretch of warm weather.

NJ
Level Contributor
56 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water temperature - is it really true?

Herring Cove Beach has been in the low 60s the past few days. Race Point is probably a few degrees colder. The bay beaches, in town, will be warmer, especially around low tide. For the warmest swimming, try the very east end of town in front of the Cape Inn. It's shallow and gets very warm.

Level Contributor
293 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water temperature - is it really true?

Thank you. How about Buzzards Bay? Is it warm there yet?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Water temperature - is it really true?

what's a good website for finding current (or historical data) water temperatures in different parts of the cape?

New York
Level Contributor
49 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water temperature - is it really true?

Water was freezing at all the beaches this past week except Craigville. It was shallow enough that on a warm day it got pleasant enough to swim. Could barely stick my toe in at Race Point near P-town!

Level Contributor
293 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water temperature - is it really true?

This is really helpful. Nothing beats personal experience!

Level Contributor
293 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water temperature - is it really true?

Hi all - I'll be going to P-Town in two weeks and was wondering whether the water temperatures have warmed up?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Water temperature - is it really true?

On the Bay, yes. On the Ocean, not much, lol. I hope you don't chicken out and not go swimming at Race Point!

Get answers to your questions about Provincetown