We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From the United Kingdom to Marblehead!!!!!

England
1 post
Save Topic
From the United Kingdom to Marblehead!!!!!

My Company in England have offered me and my husband a job position in Beverley. We have two young children, one aged 7 years, the other eighteen months. The Company have recommended a move to Marblehead -good schools, friendly people, local to Beverly. My problem is that I am struggling to find help. We have lived in England (Yorkshire) all our lives and honestly do not know where to start on getting help.

1. What school level would my 7 year old go into?

How do I find out about schools from the internet?

Would anybody recommend a visit to the schools and in turn is there a chance my daughter could go straight into school or is there a waiting list

2. Child care appears to be called day care or kindergarten - any ideas from anyone as to how I can find out local info on my daughters care? How do I find out costs etc

3. Any ideas on a yearly rental?

Any help would be gratefully received - regards, a very confused lady....

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From the United Kingdom to Marblehead!!!!!

1)One resource you should begin with in the Massachusetts Department of Education website. Here is a page from that link that gives you some details to get you started. …mass.edu/schoice/choice_guide.html

Most children begin kindergarten at age 5. Some systems offer 1/2 day only, others full day with additional fees. Cutoff dates for the child's birthday can vary city to city as well. Some use August 31, some September, others use December . You will have to research that once you know what area you will live in. There is never a waiting list for a public school, charter or private schools may be another story. At the http://www.doe.mass.edu/ site you can check particulars of school systems by going to the school and district profiles section. The Beverly Schools link is ... beverlyschools.org

2) there is a difference between daycare and kindergarten. again i would go to the town or city i was interested in living in and start my research there.

3) for real estate-- i recommend going to the boston.com website. click on real estate, then follow the link to get some information.

good luck

boston
Level Contributor
331 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From the United Kingdom to Marblehead!!!!!

There is so much information you need. If I had to choose between Marblehead and Beverly Farms, which is a small area of Beverly with its own littel 'town center', I would choose Beverly Farms in a hearbeat.

Public schools are varied in Beverly. Less varied in Marblehead. Marblehead is a classic liberal, somewhat isolated town. Beverly has working class neighborhoods and more crime. Marblehead has some very very expensive areas - one in particular, the Neck, is actually separated from the town by a causeway.

Beverly Farms has the mansions directly on the beach. So does Prides Crossing, another little neighborhood in Beverly, right next to the Farms neighborhood.

Marblehead is somewheat cramped and charming. But cramped and crowded, densely populated, or so it feels.

Beverly is sprawled out, more land, bigger houses, more variety, near horse country (Hamilton and Wenham) which is truly sprawled out with more land and bigger houses.

Driving through Beverly Farms, Hamilton and Wenham in the autumn or late summer is one of the most delightful things I can think of to de-stress.

I could go on and on. I think I'd ask whoever recommended Marblehead why they did so. It's an OK place to live - it DOES have a Starbucks and a small area that is quaint. It is on the ocean. So is Beverly Farms. So is Beverly. Ask other people who have relocated to the Beverly area why they wanted to move to Marblehead.

boston
Level Contributor
331 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From the United Kingdom to Marblehead!!!!!

I just thought of www.craigslist.org. Do you have that in the U.K.? It's kind of like a big clearinghouse of information for communities.

If you're not familiar with it, go to www.craigslist.org. On the right hand side of the web page, there are lists of cities. Click on Boston. Then, when Boston comes up, look on the left side of the web page. Type in Marblehead. Directly underneath, there is a drop down menu that lists things like events and personals. It also has 'housing.' Click on housing. You will have to scroll through apartment rental subject lines but there are also house rentals there. Right now, there is a 4 bedroom house for $2300 a month. It has a few photos. You contact the person who's renting through craigslist.org so you might have to sign up with an ID and passord. It's all free.

Level Contributor
421 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From the United Kingdom to Marblehead!!!!!

Hi Emmaclaire! What an exciting opportunity, but so many things to take care of in the decision making process and the move. I would recommend that either Human Resources of another executive at the firm here in MA refer you to a real estate agent who can help you with housing. Prices are quite high here, and knowing your income in dollars or pounds may make a difference, unless the company is paying the rent. Your 7 year old would most likely go into 2nd grade, and the public schools base enrollment on where you live (neighborhood) most of the time. There are no waiting lists for public school. I am assuming that you would take an exploratory trip over here to look at housing options and to view the school(s) and day cares. Most schools in the north shore area are very good. There are private schools as well, and charter schools, but IMHO, the public schools are fine. 18-month olds go to "day care". The typical age for pre-school is 3. Some firms have day care in their buildings, but not many. There are often waiting lists for day care, and it is usually quite expensive, depending on what type of job you have (one of my friends works full time but only takes home a few hundred dollars per week after the cost of child care). Some children are enrolled in day care centers, others may go to a licensed home day care provider. Keep asking questions, and good luck!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,033 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: From the United Kingdom to Marblehead!!!!!

You do realize, I hope, that this post was written in October of last year.

AlanM

6. Re: From the United Kingdom to Marblehead!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 14:55
Get answers to your questions about Marblehead