We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berkshires in Massachusetts

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Berkshires in Massachusetts

I have no idea about the area.

Can someone suggest a place and area to stay in the Berkshires for a weekend at the end of October.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Berkshires in Massachusetts

More info..

Just me and my wife.

Looking for areas to hike.

Don't ski. :(

Thanks for your help.

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Berkshires in Massachusetts

If you click on my screen name "Westernmass" and read some of the posts on the Massachussetts and Stockbridge forums, you will find a variety of suggestions, as well as other forum member's suggestions to the same questions.

Westernmass

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berkshires in Massachusetts

Since you are looking for a place to hike I am going to steer you towards North Adams. I took a peek at the hotel section here on TA and Blackinton Manor Bed & Breakfast seems like a nice choice. North Adams is near to Mount Greylock which is the highest point in MA (http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/mtGreylock/) I enjoy the Lee, Lenox, Stockbridge areas as well.

For other ideas of stuff to do in the North Adams area check out mass.gov/dcr/parks/mtGreylock/placesToGo.htm

Enjoy your trip!

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Berkshires in Massachusetts

Just a note about Mount Greylock.... The entire road to the top of the mountain is closed for reconstruction for the 2007 and 2008 seasons. Hiking trails on the mountain are still open. You can only drive in as far as the visitor's center (which is still open), but that is fairly low on the mountain, accessed from the route 7 side entrance.

Westernmass

USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berkshires in Massachusetts

I'd point you to the Mohawk Trail region - less pricy and pretentious than the lower Berkskires. Google "Mohawk Trail, MA" or go to Mohawktrail.com for more info. There are many great trails and hiking areas, Savoy and Mohawk state parks, High ledges Audubon sanctuary, and Shelburne Falls can't be beat for a classic small town - loads of crafts and galleries, the best restaurants around (Try Gypsy Apple for starters) close to museums, and shopping. Foliage will likely be past peak, but it will still be beautiful. Raft with Zoar Outdoors down the Deerfield (wear a wetsuit for warmth!) Stay in one of the B&Bs in the area such as Kenburn Orchards if you can get in - go to Shelburnefalls.com for room availability in other places.

Enjoy!

Omaha
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Berkshires in Massachusetts

Vacation Village at Berkshires

276 Brodie Mountain Rd

Hancock, Massachusetts 01237

United States

My wife and I have stayed here 4 times at different times of the year. We enjoy ourselves with swimming, hiking, eating out, grilling by nearby our condo, visiting various attractions. We are going to be there Oct 27 for a week.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berkshires in Massachusetts

We will be staying at the Vacation Village at Berkshires in July. I was hoping for some specific activity suggestions: we enjoy hiking, kayaking, horseback riding. Also, where is a grocery store with fresh (local?) produce and organic foods. What are some restaurants that are close by- we're foodies who don't eat red meat and enjoy a good glass of wine.

S Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Berkshires in Massachusetts

The Audobon Nature Center in Lenox has hiking trails and some guided hikes of differing difficulties. If you go back at dusk you can see the beavers come out of their dams Bring bug spray for both hikes and viewing beavers!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,178 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berkshires in Massachusetts

Just got back from Vac Village. While mostly very positive, watch out for very poor sound insulation. Also, there are new units available if you can get into one.

Also, watch out for the hard sell sales presentation under the guise of " a free breakfast if you will fill out a survey on the new unit- it will just take a few minutes" VV is pretty far north so I would suggest the northern hiking routes that have been mentioned. Also, there are a number of places to begin a Greylock hike which will change the distance substantially. Starting from the visitor center is about the longest hike.

10. Re: Berkshires in Massachusetts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 21:49
Get answers to your questions about Hancock