We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the Maravista area?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
152 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
How is the Maravista area?

Hi, I'm looking at rentals for next summer and I'm still trying to get the lay of the land since I've never been to Falmouth before. I am finding some nice rentals in the Maravista area that are right on the water and less than a mile from the beach. The prices are much less than other areas of Falmouth that aren't as close to town. Can someone tell me if this is a good area to rent or are their disadvantages to that location that I'm unaware of? Thanks.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the Maravista area?

I used to spend a lot of time in Falmouth and I remember a Maravista Hotel. This was near the end of the Falmouth Road Race, and near the beach.

I remember the beaches being nice and the water warm. I rented cottages not far from here and have great memories.

Falmouth is pretty easy to get around, so have breafkast at Woodshole one morning, or take the boat to the Vineyard.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,779 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the Maravista area?

Are you planning to rent a house? If so would you want the name of an experience realtor so that you have professional help in nailing down what you want? In most cases you don't pay a fee (or a very small one) and the houses are all priced to the market as well so you get all the benefits of using a professional and the home owner pays the commission. Good for your success as well as your peace of mind I think.

Edited: 12 June 2011, 06:37
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
152 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the Maravista area?

Yes, I found a couple of houses. One of them was on VRBO so I contacted the owner directly to ask a question. And then later I found the same house listed on a Falmouth realtor's site. Should I contact the realtor now, even though I've already exchanged emails with the owner directly?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,779 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the Maravista area?

Do you have something to gain by NOT working with the realtor who can answer your questions about the area with which you are unfamiliar and perhaps offer you additional choices to suit your needs? Also consider the business aspects of the transaction. While you are shopping around, checking with a realtor or two who specialize in and are located in Falmouth can be very worthwhile conversations.

Note the June 1 post about getting a rental near Old Silver beach.

Edited: 12 June 2011, 18:08
conn
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the Maravista area?

To answer your question, the Maravista area is nice, located between busy Rt28 and the water. You'll have the advantage of nearby stores and being close to the water. Area is generally pretty flat for easy bike use. Once away from Rt28 it;s residential. Most of the realtors I dealt with last year for a Falmouth rentals were either too busy or indifferent to helping me. I used "I need a vacation.com" with good success. Do a google search of address and owners name to check for scams or problems with rental.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,779 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the Maravista area?

That's www.weneedavacation.com. This is a local Cape Cod company.

Boston...
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the Maravista area?

excellent choice

safe

residential

Bike friendly

bays on each side (great for sitting/viewing passing boats on benches located on east/west running dead end streets (all of em are like that), beach at end of street (south, with Route 28 at North end of Maravista

if close enough to south end of Maravista, you can walk to Bristol Beach, and Bike to Falmouth Heights Beach.

Car Ride to Menahaunt Beach (east) or Surf Beach (West)

find an address, go to Google Maps, enlarge the view.

get a place on a street as close to the beach as possible.

you will be driving to Village (1-2 miles) but walking to the beach if you get the right street.

If you want to be closer to the Village, look for places in Falmouth Heights......but you will pay dearly. Honestly, Maravista is probably your best bet, not knowing what you want. Beaches, safety, walking range.

off to the village that has plenty of parking at night for dinner, ice crea, drinks, people watching.........

good luck

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
696 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the Maravista area?

Maravista has a number of ponds in the area. If they say "right on the water" I would suggest checking which water it's on, a pond or the ocean. If you are looking for privacy and distance between you and your neighbors, Maravista is probably NOT the area for that. The houses are pretty packed in around there. It is a nice community. If by chance you're planning your trip around July 4th, you will be in a good location to walk to the fireworks display.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 04:06
East Falmouth...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the Maravista area?

Renting in the Maravista area can be a crap-shoot. Maravista is a 2 mile long boulevard running N to S with Little Pond on one side and Great Pond on the other and ends up right at the beach. It has perhaps 30 small cross roads running from one pond, across Maravista boulevard ending at the other pond. Kind of like a single-pole ladder. Many of the older houses in the area are converted summer cottages. The newer places are all year round homes. The quality of the building can vary widely, so either see it before renting or make sure you are dealing with a reliable rental agent. The houses are close together on small lots. One of the best combinations of value, close to the beach and close to downtown of any area in Falmouth, but not private.

10. Re: How is the Maravista area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 05:46