We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Ferry to Martha's Vineyard Question

Monee, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
Queen Ferry to Martha's Vineyard Question
Save

I am taking the Island Queen Ferry to MV for a day and going to Oak Bluffs, Vindyard Haven and Edgartown. I was going to take the 10:30 ferry in but having never been there before I really don't know how much time i need. I am going on the Wednesday of Labor day week so i am just wondering if i need to get my departing ticket in advance. Or if I book a late departure will they let us get on an earlier one if we are done. So do you think i should book my departure now or will i be ok just doing it that day given i don't know how much time i need?

3 replies to this topic
Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
19,133 posts
31 reviews
28 helpful votes
1. Re: Queen Ferry to Martha's Vineyard Question
Save

Read their website. That will tell you how long in advance to arrive. You just purchase tickets when you are ready to board. Return anytime. You are traveling after Labor Day and mid/week.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
36 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: Queen Ferry to Martha's Vineyard Question
Save

The Island Queen ferry? That is a pedestrians and bikes only ferry. It departs from Falmouth and only goes to Oak Bluffs.

It has a more limited schedule than the "big" ferry, so be sure to study the times in each direction.

My experience is that you don't need to buy tickets ahead of time, although I like to get there maybe 30 minutes before departure. But I have not used it in several years, so I hope others will chime in.

Once you arrive in Oak Bluffs, you can take a taxi, or a public bus, to get to the other towns. I suggest going immediately to whatever different town first, then work your way back to Oak Bluffs, so you are near the ferry terminal when it's almost time.

Monee, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Queen Ferry to Martha's Vineyard Question
Save

Thank you good advice

Reply to: Queen Ferry to Martha's Vineyard Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.