We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I going to freeze??

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Am I going to freeze??

Have booked a trip May 30 thru June 8, was wondering what tupe westher is the norm during that time? I have looked online and weather averages seem all over the place. Do I pack shorts, my coat, sandals or boots? Thanks a bunch!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
1 review
1. Re: Am I going to freeze??

I doubt that you will need boots. Just take clothes that you can layer.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
168 reviews
2. Re: Am I going to freeze??

Layers are the way to go for that time of year. No boots, but do bring a light rain jacket, sweatshirt or fleece and pants. You may get beautiful temps in the 70s and sun, but even then you'll be glad for a light jacket at night.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,746 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Am I going to freeze??

Sandals some days, socks and sneakers other days. Unlikely that you will see frost or snow. ;-)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
1 review
4. Re: Am I going to freeze??

But no socks and sandals !!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,746 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Am I going to freeze??

Lol Senior!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
133 reviews
6. Re: Am I going to freeze??

That time of year can be iffy. New England gets an east wind in late spring that blows off the water, which is still REALLY cold at that time. If you can find a beach sheltered from the wind, it can be very pleasant. In no case will it be swimming weather.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
967 posts
190 reviews
7. Re: Am I going to freeze??

You will have to wait until the date nears to look at the forecast and pack accordingly. It can be warm, it can be hot, it can be cold, wet or dry. I'm sure the same could be said for where you live. Layers are the best bet.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Am I going to freeze??

Thanks a bunch, my vision of myself in a cute sundress and big hat walking along the surf just got dashed...onward to a new more fleece inspired wardrobe. Just kidding, thanks for the info guys!

Northof Boston
Level Contributor
553 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Am I going to freeze??

This is New England- you never know what you are going to get. June can be HOT. I've swam in the ocean on Memorial Day weekend before. Don't rule anything out.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
85 reviews
10. Re: Am I going to freeze??

I agree that it'll be too early to swim in the Atlantic unless there's some unseasonable heat wave. ROWL on the boots question! No, you won't need them for protection though boots in the summer has become a trend and fashion statement. You see young girls with short leather and suede boots in the summer sometimes now.

As I was advised when I vacationed on Spain's Costa del Sol in April, dress like an onion. Layers so you can peel them off depending on the temperatures. If you enjoy bike riding, the island has some of the most zen-like trails you'll find anywhere. So it'll be a great time of year to enjoy doing that. Instead of a coat, I'd pack a few cashmere sweaters and a leather jacket and you should be covered.

Happy Planning! ;~>

P.S. Read the Vineyard Gazette and Martha's Vineyard Times online to see what will be happening on the island when you're scheduled to be there.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 21:07
Get answers to your questions about Edgartown