We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edgartown neighborhoods and ponds

Seattle
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Edgartown neighborhoods and ponds

I initially posted this question on the MV forum but since I have not received any responses yet, I thought I should try re-posting specifically to the Edgartown forum. I apologize if anyone is seeing this post twice.

Our family (two adults and three children ages 16, 13, 10) is looking forward to a week in Martha's Vineyard in mid to late June. We have found a few rental properties near Edgartown and cannot decide which neighborhood would serve us best as a home base. Oyster Watch Midlands, Katama, South Beach, Winnetu, Oyster Pond and Great Pond are all listed in different descriptions of various rentals under consideration. Can anyone provide advice regarding which may be the best option? We will have a car but look forward to spending time riding bikes. We would love to be able to easily bike to Edgartown on bike paths and also look forward to spending ample time at the beach.

Another important question: Is the water warm enough for swimming in mid-June? Are the beaches public or should we find a rental home with beach access? Can anyone help me understand the various ponds? Are the ponds areas for swimming & recreation as well or are they primarily scenic?

Your comments are most appreciated. Thank you!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Edgartown neighborhoods and ponds

I can't say which is the "best" or even if there is a best. I am familiar with Oyster Pond (I have family on that rd). It is a dirt road with gorgeous homes. You should have access to the "beach" which is private and reached by taking a sail or motor boat to the end of the pond where you park it and then walk over the small dune to the ocean. Lots of crabs on the pond side and often seals playing on the seaside. It is an easy bike ride into Edgartown and at the end of the road is the bike path which you can also take to Oak bluff or VH. I have taken my bike into Edgartown and then crossed over to bike on Chappy. I haven't seen people really swimming in Oyster pond but lots of kayaking (another way to get to the beach).

None of your areas are that far from Edgartown and each will be easily accessible to bike paths and trails.

So some beaches are private, others are public. You are going to really have to work very hard to screw up this vacation. I am sure all your choices are great.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
967 posts
190 reviews
2. Re: Edgartown neighborhoods and ponds

In regard to the neighborhoods; Katama, South Beach and Winnetu are the same, though Winnetu is a hotel/resort property. As for the next, Edgartown Great Pond is closer to Edgartown, followed by Oyster Midlands and Oyster Pond. A simple search for properties, brought up this property on Oyster Pond, that I am familiar with; pointbrealty.com/… Over on the right side of the page, click on 'see property map'. A pop up will appear that will show you Oyster Pond, with Edgartown Great Pond to the right. The town of Edgartown is the the right of that. This will give you an idea of placement. The roads to Edgartown Great Pond and Oyster Pond are dirt/sand and not paved. This can make for a tiring bike ride, depending on how far down the road your rental is located. Once out on the main Edgartown-West Tisbury road, you'll find a shared use path that is great for biking. You may have to cross the road, making it a bit tricky. I'm not sure where the cross-over is located. The area of South Beach has a wonderful path that will bring you right into Edgartown. Here is a map of the island bike paths mvcommission.org/doc.php/…

When you're inquiring about properties, as the agent/owner for the address so you can look it up on the map.

Come back with more questions, but please be patient. It's winter here and we like to relax and travel in the off-season :-) We work our tails off in the summer!

Seattle
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Edgartown neighborhoods and ponds

Thank you for your thoughtful replies and reassurance. I appreciate your time and guidance. It sounds like we cannot go wrong with any of the choices. We are looking forward to our visit!

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Edgartown neighborhoods and ponds

But of course some places are closer to downtown than others. I think I'd rather be a little closer to town than some of those locations. If a listing says Katama, look at the map, as another suggests. Water temp: I don't know, but i bet you could find temps for recent Junes if you try. Ponds will be much warmer than the ocean. The Atlantic in June will be fairly cold, but calmer, shallower areas could warm up. still, it's the Atlantic.

Seattle
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Edgartown neighborhoods and ponds

Thank you. I truly appreciate the additional input.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
967 posts
190 reviews
6. Re: Edgartown neighborhoods and ponds

The ponds will be warmer than the ocean, and the ocean will be quite cool during June. If you want to swim in the ponds, I suggest you wear water shoes, as razor clams and lots of shells are in the ponds.

7. Re: Edgartown neighborhoods and ponds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 23:51
Get answers to your questions about Edgartown