We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean's Edge in May

Mandeville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean's Edge in May

Will we need to ride to town or can we walk? It seems this property is rather large and we'll be staying in the Villas. I had concerns about the negative reviews so call the Inn. Spoke with Sean Sullivan and he couldn't be more accomodating. Assured me he would make sure we would be well pleased with our stay. I hope he is right. Now just have to plan what to do. We are in our 60's but would like to think we're more like early 50's. Thought about a whale watching excursion, day trip to Nantucket or MV, and possibily a island tour. What do you think. We're from New Orleans and have never been to New England before.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,294 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean's Edge in May

When are you arriving Eileen and how long will you stay? Are you in the beachside villas over by the mansion? Those sure are nice.

There's so much to do that I would really like to refer you to the best Cape guide book and that is An Explorer's Guide: Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket by Kim Grant.9th edition. It is part of a well written (and with maps) series that you will find in your local bookstore or library.

Whale watches go from Barnstable harbor (www.whales.net) and the Dolphin Fleet leaves from Provincetown. In Ptown I really like the Art's Dune's Tours and there are several versions of their tours. Visit the Province Lands visitor's center on your way into or out of Ptown. Walk up to their viewing platform and take time to watch a few of their short movies.

Depending on how long you are staying I suggest you stick with visiting towns on the Cape or perhaps going to just one of the islands unless you are here longer than a week. It is a toss up as to which you should visit but you can get to Nantucket from Harwichport or Hyannis and to MV from Hyannis or Falmouth.

There really is no town center in Brewster so you will need to drive to Orleans, the closest with a town center. If you are located near the mansion then you will be able to stroll onto your lovely beach anytime.

You can get a little more info if you look at the Top Questions on the right and also become aquainted with the geography of the area. Just print out one of the many maps that you'll find when you google Cape Cod. That will get you started I think. You'll love Cape Cod I'm sure.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean's Edge in May

When are you coming and how long are you staying?

You will need to drive to most places from OE. All the the activities you mentioned are possible. Since we do not know you it is difficult to tell you what you will like. Do you have specific questions that you need answered?

Charlie just beat me to the post button! Good advice...highly recommend Kim Grant's Explorer's Guide.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 01:27
Mandeville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean's Edge in May

Just went to the bookstore and bought your recommended book. We will only be staying for 3 days. Arriving in Boston on May 23rd ,renting a car and driving to the Cape. Should we skip Martha's Vinyard and stay on Cape Cod? Should we take the day tour of the Cape that is recommended on trip advisors?

Do you think the whale watching boats will be crowed since it is the week before Memorial Day? And is there a best time to go...morning or evening?

Thanks for your advice.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,294 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean's Edge in May

Boy are you quick Eileen. Start reading it now but I suggest that you only schedule two days and leave the third open to your whims at the time.

With just 3 days I suggest that you stay on the Cape unless you really have your heart set on Nan. or MV. If so then pick one, get to the ferry early and go enjoy it.

No the whale watch boats should not be busy in May. We go early in the morning for the 10AM departure since it takes longer than we always think to get to Ptown, get parked and make it over to the boat. They will give you a AAA discount btw. Then we have time to do other things (consider Art's Dune's Tours) there and get out by sundown.

Don't know about the day trip suggested by Trip Advisors. If you have time could you put the link up?

Have fun Eileen.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean's Edge in May

You will want to watch the weather before deciding when to go whalewatching. A calm day can make the difference between a fun time and a not-so-fun time! I agree with Charlie about not going to the islands on this trip. But DO spend some time exploring the Cape Cod National Seashore from Eastham to Provincetown. The quant towns, beautiful beaches and scenic views will surely give you lasting memories. Kim Grant personally visits each place she recommends so you can rely on her expert advice...as well as CCC's. I am not too sure what TA advises....I don't believe they have ever actually visited the Cape. :-)

6. Re: Ocean's Edge in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:45