We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel or condo for 4-night trip over Memorial Day weekend?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
198 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel or condo for 4-night trip over Memorial Day weekend?

Hi all -

Just wanted to get some thoughts, if you don't mind. My family and I (two adults, three children) are traveling to OC over Memorial Day weekend, arriving Friday and departing Tuesday. Right now, I've booked a room at the Hilton, but from reading this forum, have discovered that condos may be a good option as well. I'm specifically looking at Belmont Towers since we think it may be nice to stay right on the boardwalk. However, wanted to get some thoughts ...

1) Our youngest is 18 months of age. Will the beach by the boardwalk area be fine for her, or would something further north be more ideal for younger children?

2) If we stay in a condo, we would have to provide our own linens, towels and Pack-n-Play, right? Not sure that would be worth it for a four-night stay ...?

3) Cost between the Hilton and a unit in Belmont Towers is somewhat similar. At the Hilton, we'd get daily maid service, breakfast included (since I'm a HH Diamond member), and everything provided for us (including crib), but with the condo, we'd get more space, which would be lovely.

4) Thoughts on staying right on the boardwalk? Pros? Cons? We've stayed north a couple of times and really enjoyed the peace and quiet, so it would be nice for a change of scenery for at least one trip. But just wondering if staying on the boardwalk is "worth it". I mean, how many times can you walk up and down the thing with three children? Is that location more suited for a family who does not plan on driving anywhere during the stay? If we do plan on driving to the outlets for half-a-day or Jolly Rogers for minigolf, for instance, does the boardwalk location really matter then?

Would appreciate any thoughts /. insight you may have. Greatly appreciate them!

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel or condo for 4-night trip over Memorial Day weekend?

You have lots of questions. I'll try and help.

1. I've never stayed on the boardwalk in the 20+ years I've been going to OC. It's just something that never appealed to me. Too crowded and noisy for my particular taste on the southern end. Further up past 15th St. would be better if you want to stay on the boardwalk. I really see no advantage to it unless you have teenagers that don't want to just hang out at the beach and want to run around.

One thing I used to do when my kids were that age was to buy one of those small inflatable pools and a sand bucket and blow it up beside my chairs at the beach. I'd put several buckets of sea water in it and my kids were happier there than in the ocean. Plus you can put it under the umbrella. They loved just jumping in and out............and if it gets full of sand (which it does) just dump it out and fill it up again.

2/3 Condos: I'm not sure I've ever seen a condo that will rent Friday to Tuesday. They usually rent Monday to Friday or Friday to Monday. If you found one that will extend to Tuesday you got very lucky.

Some condos do offer linen rental, but the majority of them are bring your own. I always used those space bags where you suck the air out with a vacuum. And condos all have sweepers in them, so you can do it again when you leave. Saves a lot of space. And if you do go condo and bring your own linens, don't forget your pillows. I love condos over hotels because you don't have to get out when the maid comes to clean or worry about her walking in on you. Plus the little ones have more room to run around.

Have you checked the Holiday Inn and Suites on 17th? Please do. They have the best of both. On the boardwalk, but quieter. There is a separate living room, kitchen, and bedroom and bathroom in each unit. So you have lots of room to spread out. It's my favorite hotel in OC. Plus they have a fantastic kiddie pool with a lazy river. Very, very nice

4. Again, I've never stayed lower boardwalk, but I've read so many times how when you leave your condo or hotel and go back, you can't find a place to park. Plus the parking spaces are smaller since space is at a premium.

I'm sure others will chime in with different opinions, but that is mine.

Hanover, Pa
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel or condo for 4-night trip over Memorial Day weekend?

Staying in a condo for 4 days would be worth the hassle packing the extra things(linens, crib,etc) especially with young kids. I have always stayed in a hotel the last 30 some years but last year family and I did a condo for the first time and will never go back unless a short trip with the wife. The added space is a plus and you don't have to go to bed when everyone else went to bed.

Staying on the boardwalk with young kids is the way to go if you can afford it. The convenients of the boardwalk location especially the location of the Belmont Towers on Dorchester St is perfect. Restaurants, shops, games, rides are a very short walk and for young kids that's perfect. The Belmont Towers is the Trump Plaza for Ocean City, a great place but I'm not sure either if they will rent from Friday to Tuesday that weekend.

As for noise that's a false claim unless you sleep with your door and windows open every night. I've stayed in far less hotels than the Belmont on the boardwalk and never had a issue with noise. Boardwalk can be busy but your far enough away that noise is not a issue.

If you can afford a condo 10th street and under that's the best way to enjoy OC. My budget doesn't allow me to that so we stay a little further north and drive down to the inlet area to enjoy the boardwalk.

Have Fun

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
198 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel or condo for 4-night trip over Memorial Day weekend?

Thank you so much! Sorry for all the questions, but really appreciate the help. I did find a few units where the owners will rent for a three-night minimum so hopefully, one of those will work out.

Thanks again!

Phoenix
Level Contributor
408 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel or condo for 4-night trip over Memorial Day weekend?

My grandparents had a cottage at 145th St. oceanblock, so I grew up staying summers there way off the boardwalk. It was fun. But... now that I'm grown up, I love staying right on the boardwalk, and always below 7th St. That's the most fun. The beach at the lower streets there is always kept replenished so it doesn't have the steep drop offs that the beach at higher streets can have, when winter storms have washed away sand. So it's safer and more fun for kids to swim there.

I stayed at Belmont Towers, unit 304, last summer, and loved it. It was not noisy, it was very quiet. I agree with tfunky, the noise issue is not true. I've been staying on the boardwalk for more than 25 years, and I've never been awakened by noise from the boardwalk. People-watching from a balcony overlooking the boardwalk is part of the fun of going to the beach. BTW, not all of the units in the Belmont have balconies facing the boardwalk, some face the side street.

As far as parking goes, Belmont Towers has a secure parking garage (with remote openers) for two vehicles per unit, with assigned spaces. So you don't have to worry about that. In fact, every condo I've ever rented has a dedicated parking lot, so parking's not an issue ever.

Although we always bring our own, linens can be rented from : http://www.ocbeachandlinenrental.com/

Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel or condo for 4-night trip over Memorial Day weekend?

Try sleeping on the beach.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel or condo for 4-night trip over Memorial Day weekend?

It's illegal to sleep on the beach in Ocean City.

7. Re: Hotel or condo for 4-night trip over Memorial Day weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:10
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
Recent Conversations