We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Couple of Days in OC

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Rough Couple of Days in OC

I realize that a lot of the contributors here aren't from the area, so I'm just passing on news of a bad few days in OC. Worst was a body being found yesterday on the beach at 2nd St.. between the surf and the boardwalk. A 30 YO women from Texas. Body is at the Medical Examiner in Baltimore. Not much other info was available. Someone fell (they say slipped) in a boating incident at the inlet, and broke their neck, and was transported to the Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. Someone fell off of the rock jetty at the inlet and was caught up in the current. Two OC Beach Patrol members went in to assist. All 3 were rescued by the US Coast Guard. Someone fell off of a balcony at the Commander Hotel on 14th street. An employee at the Carousel was trapped in a trash compactor. And lastly, a mare at Assateague was found dead. Reports say from ingesting dog food. Phew ! Hope they have a better week.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
The Commander Hotel
The Commander Hotel
916 Reviews
Ocean City, MD
8 replies to this topic
pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough Couple of Days in OC

Not getting any better . Another drowning today. I hate this word, but this seems to be the season of "tourons" While I feel bad for the people who made bad decisions, the poor horse would still be alive if some "human" hadn't been such an idiot. They may have to ban dogs from Assateague if it means protecting the horses from stupid people.

Let's just hope for a better rest of season.

Mentioned in this post
Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough Couple of Days in OC

the drowning was from a the rescue yesterday at the inlet when someone went into the waters after the life guards left for the day. It was announced today that person died at the hospital.

Alcohol played a factor in many of these cases especially the fall off the balcony.

Common them here is watch how much you drink and be smart.

The horses in assateague invade peoples camping area all the time..They need to watch what they eat.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough Couple of Days in OC

Horses, bears, cats, or dogs don't have the ability to "watch what they eat". They are animals. People can think logically. Animals can't. People need to be more responsible when they're camping , assuming that's where the horse got the dog food, or anytime they're on the island with their food. I've seen horses get into potato chip bags, and beach bags to get food. It would be so much safer if people bring their food in coolers that lock or seal so the animals can't smell it and try and get into it.

WE need to help the horses out, because they just can't help themselves.

nj
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough Couple of Days in OC

Surprised no comments regarding the woman from texas found buried in the sand with only her arm showing. Now it's mentioned I guess.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough Couple of Days in OC

Didn't you read OP original post?

nj
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough Couple of Days in OC

I did. Probably not that closely. I didn't make the connection that the body found "on the beach between the surf and boardwalk" was the same story as the body buried in the sand. "On the beach" made me think someone fell asleep on the beach at night and died, maybe in their sleep or something. Pretty gruesome getting buried in the sand.

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough Couple of Days in OC

There is a detailed story in the Maryland Coast Dispatch today. It appears that she fell in, or climbed into, an already existing hole. Death is being ruled accidental, but there are a lot of questions, and the investigation continues. There are just too many possibilities based on the info in the article to draw a conclusion. They mention that she was wearing a paper wristband, like you would get in a bar to visibly verify that you are of legal drinking age, but there is no blood alcohol content notated in the report. Regardless of how it happened, it's so sad to see this happening to people that go on vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough Couple of Days in OC

Very sad news on all accounts. But I still feel safe going because it sounds like most of these things happened as a result of reckless behavior or bad decisions. I am glad the body was found now though because we will be staying on second st and I would have hated for my kids to see any of that.

Reply to: Rough Couple of Days in OC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ocean City
;