We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

CT
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

We jsut returned from a week in Southwest Harbor and I wanted to share some thoughts with my fellow tripadvisor buddies. We loved SWH and Acadia. Bar Harbor is a liltle touristy for our taste, even in the off season, but fun to go to on a rainy day. We rented a cottage called "calm waters" in Southwest Harbor. You can walk to town, the causeway, town pier and with a little more effort, Acadia. A few moderate hikes we enjoyed were Fying Mt. (walk from cottage) Gorham Mt, Ship Harbor and another walk near there that I can't remember the name, sorry. Drove to the top of Cadilac MT, walked the carriage path near Jordan Pond(stopped in for popovers) and the shoreline path in Bar Harbor. We made many stops and short jaunts while exploring Mt. Desert Island. The loop in the park is a must as well. Don't miss the Thunderhole. Really fun to see whe it is thundering.

We were able to walk to town from our cottage and enjoyed walking to dinner or for ice cream. THE best peanut butter soft serve I have ever had!

Restaurants we tried (and liked):

Sips , casual with neat atmosphere

Gilley's, 3 lb lobster!

Beals, fried clams

Mainley Delight (Bass Harbor) lobster, BYOB

Cafe2, funky place with nffice outside dining

You will love SWH and Acadia...no black flies, restful views, nice people, great hiking/walking...what more could you want for a great vacation!

If you bike, bring them! We did not because we had our dog with us, who was welcome most everywhere.

Feel free to email me any questions you may have and enjoy our trip!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

Thank you for the report. The other trail that you can't recall---was it Wonderland (very close to Ship Harbor)? It's one of my favorites in any of the four seasons.

Marion, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

Thank you so much for your SW Harbor & Acadia report!! We have been "in training for Maine" as we say taking daily walks 2-3 mi. or bike rides 5-6 mi and sometimes a little of both. We can't bring our bikes since we are flying from Illinois but do plan on renting them there. We're not big lobster fans, but I love shrimp and my husband likes shrimp & scallops. He plans on trying the lobster again, though. We do plan on hiking some of the trails & packing picnic lunches since we are staying in a B & B. We will be trying many of the restaurants you & cwvoight have mentioned. We are looking forward to some cooler temperatures too, as it is currently 98 degrees with high humidity and heat index well over 100 degrees here. Did you do any cruises like the whale/puffin watch or lighthouse cruise? Did you do any of the ranger led programs, hikes, cruises? You didn't mention them so I wondered.

CT
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

yes, the other trail we went on was Wonderland...beautiful and not many people around. We did not go on any Ranger led trips but did meet up with a Ranger on Wonderland. It was his day off and we had a great time chatting with him.

I tend to get pretty sea sick so we didn't go on a whale watch etc. but I do think it would be fun.

Picnics are definitely the way to go...so many beautiful places to stop and relax. We ate on afternoon at the library in Somesville watching an eagle in the tree...pretty fun.

Take a drive on Sargent Dr. to see a view of the fjords and see some lovely homes.

You should be fine hiking if you stay on the trails considered moderate. Tehy were challenging enough to be fun but not killers!

Wyncote
Level Contributor
78 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

Wow, SusieQ, we must have been in SW Harbor at the same time! We were there from July 16 - 21, staying at Acadia Cottages. My favorite part of our stay was walking into town in the morning with one of my 4 year old twins, grabbing a coffee or danish and enjoying the quiet. We enjoyed many of the same activities. My kids - we also have a 12 year old - loved trying to catch the tadpoles in Jordan Pond and also loved Echo Lake. We also found Bar Harbor to be a little crowded. I'm glad we decided to leave the double stroller at home, it would have been quite a challenge on the narrow sidewalks! Overall it was a really fun trip - I just wish we hadn't brought the hot weather north with us!

Tampa, Fl
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

What was the weather like and was the water warm enough for a swim or snorkel? We like to bike and I noticed you said to bring your, is there no place to rent bikes there? your place sounded wonderful where you stayed was it on the water? If not do you recall any that were on the water?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

Echo Lake is warm enough for swimming; I rather suspect that for Floridians, the ocean temperature (mid to high 50s) will be a little cool.

cleveland ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

we are leaving for acadia in 3 weeks and also taking our dog. are there eating places that she is welcome on the patio? I assume if we are browsing in the bar harbor or SW harbor shops we should leave her at the cottage as i assume that most will not welcome her. thanks for your info!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

Bar Harbor has two dog shops, Walkin' The Dog and Bark Harbor. I know that Walkin' the Dog and even Sherman's Book Store keep dog treats behind the counter. A number of eating places have patios where dogs are welcome. It's sort of a dog-friendly place, but please do keep dogs on leash in the Park.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

For that matter, Bar Harbor does have a leash law---dogs on a leash at all times.

10. Re: Southwest Harbor and Acadia travel report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Southwest Harbor