We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland ME, 2015 Lobster Season

Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Portland ME, 2015 Lobster Season

Hello All,

I am planning a trip to Portland Maine at the beginning of the 2015 lobster season. I would like to sample the local flavor in and around the commercial docks. I am a Florida commercial fisherman and am very interested in visiting the commercial docks and meeting some local fisherman. Can anyone provide some guidance on setting up this trip?

Greg

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
David's 388
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, American
Dock's Seafood
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, American, Seafood
7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
467 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland ME, 2015 Lobster Season

Not sure what you mean by the "lobster season" as lobstermen haul traps year-round here. As to the working waterfront, that is also going year-round (I give a major thumbs-up to our hardworking fishermen who are out on a day like today - about 0 degrees at the moment). Anyway, as a commercial fisherman, I'm sure you're not very interested in giving tours when you're working - you'll find the same here. They have a job to do and would prefer to get it done. The docks on Commercial Street are, for the most part, easily accessible on foot and you could probably go down very early in the morning to watch them load up for the day - I would advise staying out of the way. There is a lobster boat charter you can take (http://www.luckycatch.com) that operates in the warmer months.

Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland ME, 2015 Lobster Season

Thank you for the information....I totally understand not getting in the way. Is the month of August a good time to visit the area? Im not into the beach thing but I do enjoy waterfront bars/grills and the seaside tiki thing.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland ME, 2015 Lobster Season

Having lived in New England all my life, I don't associate our coast with tiki bars. With possibly only a few exceptions, and I can't think of any, it's more of a clam shack or upscale restaurant sort of coast. Not so much with the tiki bars.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Level Contributor
467 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland ME, 2015 Lobster Season

HappyGoin is correct. Perhaps you're confusing us with the Caribbean - tiki bars don't exist here. A Portland ordinance restricts ground floor, waterfront commercial property to be used primarily for marine purposes (think bait shop not ocean-themed bar). The ordinance has been revised several times, and I'm not sure what the ratio of marine to non-marine business is now, but it still makes opening a business directly on the water difficult. Add to that the weather and that an outdoor space is usable only about 4 months of the year, and places are reluctant to invest too much money in space that can't make money for them year-round. There are a few restaurants and bars on the water-side of Commercial Street, and a large one is currently under construction and predicted to open next summer. If you're imagining some sort of waterfront dive bar (as in the Perfect Storm) where fishermen go when their day is over, you will be disappointed. Places on the water cost a premium and their food and drink prices reflect that.

I think August is lovely but I like hot and humid weather (which a Florida resident may also enjoy). It's still our high season for tourists and cruise ships will be abundant so Portland will be busy with plenty to see and do.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Florida
Florida
United States
Phippsburg, Maine
Level Contributor
313 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland ME, 2015 Lobster Season

It's worth mentioning since you specified South Portland, that that town is across the river from Portland. The waterfront there is not at all easy to access by foot being divided up by shipping interests, a tank farm, private homes and a few pleasure marinas.

If you want to walk a working waterfront (a commonly used phrase here in Maine where the fishermen struggle to keep from being shut out by growth and tourism), Commercial Street in Portland is where you want to be walking. You may be side tracked by the wealth of bars and restaurants to check out in that short strip, too.

There are dozens of fishing villages up the coast that still carry on generations old traditions, but as previously noted, they are very busy scrambling to make a living and not too concerned with showing tourists a good time. So if you aren't ready to sign on for a Lobster Cruise as a tourist, you probably won't be invited aboard as an observer.

Look here for a lobster tour...

lobsterfrommaine.com/lobster-boat-tours-main…

Have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Phippsburg, Maine
Level Contributor
313 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland ME, 2015 Lobster Season

Ooooops! Double post!