We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockland Trip Report + FYI re: Conte's Restaurant

Arlington, Virginia
6 posts
Save Topic
Rockland Trip Report + FYI re: Conte's Restaurant

During my recent visit to Rockland/Camden I had a terrible experience at Conte's Restaurant in Rockland. I was visiting the mid-coast of Maine during the last week of Sept. 2011. I observed that Conte's Restaurant is not kind to visitors and instead caters to the locals. Conte's is very difficult to find, especially at night. No sign outside and no lights. Building is hidden behind fishing equipment. I spent 45 mins. trying to find it via car. Street signs in this residential area don't specify Main St. When visiting Sept 27, the Conte's owner/staff were not sympathic when explaining my ordeal upon arriving shortly after 8 pm closing.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockland Trip Report + FYI re: Conte's Restaurant

So you are mad at Conte's because you couldn't find it? For future reference, here's what I would try:

1. Ask a local where it is.

2. Call the restaurant and get directions.

3. Give up and eat elsewhere. Rockland has several good options.

PA
Level Contributor
799 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockland Trip Report + FYI re: Conte's Restaurant

Did you enjoy Rockland?

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockland Trip Report + FYI re: Conte's Restaurant

Just because Tony Bourdain ate there doesn't mean it is worth that ordeal.

Not much of a trip report. What else did you do in the area? Anything you enjoyed?

Arlington, Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockland Trip Report + FYI re: Conte's Restaurant

Despite the unfriendly-to-tourists experience at Conte’s, I was able to find some welcoming people and places in Rockland/Camden. The folks at Mid-Coast Gym (44 Park Street, Rockland, ME) were very accommodating upon learning that I’m from Virginia. Terrific place to work out with lots of equipment…easy to find on Rt 1. The woman who works the gates at Mt. Battie was very helpful and friendly. She apologized for the experience at Conte’s saying it’s not typical of a genuine mid-coast Maine attitude and spirit….but I wish I was more fortunate. Terrific hike/drive up the mountain with incredible views. I’m a fan of the Wyeths…the Farnworth Museum, Wyeth Center, and Olson House were spectacular and worth visiting. I have since read other online reviews of Conte’s Restaurant and other tourists have apparently had similar unfriendly experiences there. On the evening of my visit I did stop to ask locals on Rt. 73 for directions 4 different times and I must of passed Conte’s numerous times before finally finding it. I am an avid traveler and trying to help other fellow travelers. I afraid that Conte's might be tarnishing the image of your region based on what I’m hearing?

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
773 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rockland Trip Report + FYI re: Conte's Restaurant

Cool_Kip, unfortunately what you experienced at Conte's is pretty typical. Most know of the reputation. Some visitors/locals seek out the restaurant to check it out for themselves and others can't be bothered. I'm glad you had some other experiences in the area that were more positive.

Like every where in the world, a restuarant, shop, attraction like Conte's exists. I'm sure there's some in Arlington too. It's not the norm (which you saw for yourself from other experiences) and I really don't believe that you honestly think that this lone establishment is "tarnishing the image of our region".

Camden, Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rockland Trip Report + FYI re: Conte's Restaurant

Conte's is what it is, I am a local and I won't eat there and no restaurant will accommodate past closing hours, why would they? There are tons of better places anyway with a lot friendlier staff and owners. Sorry you had a bad experience.

7. Re: Rockland Trip Report + FYI re: Conte's Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 23:45
Get answers to your questions about Rockland
More Rockland Topics