We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for wife's birthday

Maine
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Ideas for wife's birthday

I'll be visiting Portland for the day this sunday (4/29) for my wife's birthday, and I'm trying to think of some things to do with her to give her a nice day. We're going to get there early and probably go to the Maine Mall, stop in Whole Foods for some good stuff to bring home, and get something to eat/walk around in Old Port. Any suggestions on fun things to do for a young couple to fill up the rest of the day? I can't seem to find anything great just by searching online, but I'm sure there's stuff out there!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for wife's birthday

You could take the mail boat out to the Casco Bay Islands, if it's not too cold. Sort of a fun thing just to see those islands close up. http://www.cascobaylines.com/

Just to the north of Portland there is Mackworth Island. It's sort of fun to take the trail that runs along the edge of that island. There is a school for the deaf on the island and that's about all there is out there. Very nice trail. Great views.

trails.org/our-trails/mackworth-island-trail/

Of course there is the art museum. And the lighthouse: http://www.portlandheadlight.com/

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for wife's birthday

Depending on her interests, a couple of things going on on Sunday, 4/29 include: -- Portland Symphony Orchestra tribute to the rock group Queen (2;30PM concert -- see Portland Symphony Orchestra website for added info), or Portland Sea Dogs (Red Sox minor league affiliate) afternoon game (see their website for more info) in a great little stadium that includes its own version of "the green monster". Other great choices: a visit to Portland Head Light Lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth followed by lunch/dinner at Two Lights Seafood on-the-rocks overlooking the ocean (also in Cape Elizabeth). They open for the season March 24th and their menu is on their website.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for wife's birthday

If you're staying for the evening, I'd recommend heading to the Top of the East (which is also close to the Museum of Art). Great views of Portland, very romantic and some good cocktails (or whatever you're into). They have light food there, too, I believe.

If the weather is nice, it's always fun to walk down Exchange Street and Commercial Street to check out the shops. Fun, boutique type stores. Then head East on Commercial Street toward the East End Beach. Commercial Street stops, but a nice path continues and you can spend a little time walking with a beautiful view. There are also a number of bars and restaurants in this area, so if you're hungry or thirsty, you can prolong your walk by stopping.

4. Re: Ideas for wife's birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:13
Get answers to your questions about Portland