We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September

Oak Point, Texas
12 posts
Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September

Hi y'all,

My husband and I have booked a flight from Dallas to Boston on 9/15/18-9/20/18. We have never been to Boston and Maine, and we want to drive to Maine to visit and eat lobsters.

Can any one suggest some itinerary in Boston and Maine? We like nature and historical landmarks, and we love lobsters. So please recommend some good restaurants or places that we can satiate ourselves...

Appreciate your help!

9 replies to this topic
Louisville
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September

I"m following this post as I'm thinking of the same trip in September.

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September

I was in Boston in February and recommend Mike’s Pastry and Quincy Market for food and shopping. The city is full of history and you might want to look into the Freedom Trail. I went with my cousin and we got Charlie cards at the vending machines by the subway and used Google maps on our phones to navigate the subway. One of my best vacations by far. Enjoy!!

6 posts
3. Re: Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September

Hi! My boyfriend and I traveling from DFW to Boston next week. I posted my itinerary and asked for suggestions on a free day over in the Boston forum and had someone recommend going to Portland via the Amtrak. I looked into it and we ended up booking it for Saturday and it was only $96 round trip for the both of us. If you are staying near downtown Boston, I’ve had a lot of people recommend and read lots of blogs that suggest not renting a car at all. We are staying 6 days and are buying the 7 day Charlie Ticket. It’s around $20 per person for unlimited riding on the subway and bus for 7 days.

JBP
Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September

Yum... lobsters! You’re definitely in the right place with Massachusetts and Maine! They are everywhere, most restaurants have whole lobsters and there is all kinds of lobster rolls and lobster salad made with fresh lobster meat.

Two nice little towns in between Boston and Maine are Ogunquit and Kennebunkport. Ogunquit has Marginal Way, a very scenic coastal walk and a vibrant little downtown. Lots of traffic though.

Kennebunkport is also a very pretty coastal town with nice shops and restaurants. The Arundel Wharf restaurant had really good lobster and seafood.

One of the crown jewels of Portland is the Portland Head Light. It is a beautiful lighthouse on a rocky coastline with tons of places to walk around and look out.

If you like to be out on the water check out the tours at Casco Bay leaving from downtown Portland. There are a variety of cruises at different times .

Enjoy!

Oak Point, Texas
12 posts
5. Re: Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September

Thank you so much guys for the great suggestions! I will spend some time sorting out what we will do with your advice. Hopefully I will find time posting our final draft of itinerary and let you comment on it.

Brigantine, New...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September

Portland Head Light and Ft. Williams is absolutely worth a visit when in Portland and if you see their truck

https://www.biteintomaine.com/ is famous for their Lobster Rolls!

When in Boston right near the New England Aquarium and Whale Watching tour is https://www.jameshooklobster.com/index.php… split one of their large lobster rolls and have some of their award winning, two-time Boston Chowder Fest champion New England Clam Chowder

Brigantine, New...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
120 reviews
7. Re: Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September

And in case you didn't see this

https:/…portland-maine-city-of-the-year-2018 and if you do the Freedom Trail after seeing the USS Constitution and then the Bunker Hill Monument and Museum you'll be just 2/10 of a mile from this great and historic tavern. I just ate there last week and the food and service was good and the story of the place is incredible.

http://www.warrentavern.com/

Edited: 11 August 2018, 04:12
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September

Definitely take Aquarium Whale Watch trip. It is spectacular. About 3-4 hrs long but worth it. Ship is huge. No issues with choppiness.

1 post
9. Re: Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September

You are in for a great time. i have been to Maine and New Hampshire 10 times. the best lobster i have found is http://www.alsseafoodnh.com/restaurant.html Not much to look at but excellent very casual The bakery When Pigs Fly has some great bread. The have a pizza place in Kittery Me.

Edited: 13 August 2018, 05:58
Reply to: Need suggestion on Boston and Maine itinerary in September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted