We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Southern Beach with toddlers?

NYC
Level Contributor
73 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best Southern Beach with toddlers?

We are here in Portland (what a great town!) and want to take a trip down to one of the southern beaches. We have two small kids in tow and want something with a nice town so we can go for lunch or dinner afterwards, but have heard parking can be tough at a lot of places. Which beaches are recommended? Thx!

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Southern Beach with toddlers?

With the hot weather predicted for the next couple of days, you will not be the only people headed to the beach! I think the greater Scarborough/Old Orchard/Saco area is your best bet. Old Orchard Beach is the central beach with lots of parking lots (price decreases the further from the beach) and an amusement park. Other beaches to the north and south of OOB, but still really the same beach, are Pine Point, Ocean Park (you may find street parking), Bay View (a small parking lot) and Ferry Beach. You could also check out Ferry Beach State Park.

Mentioned in this post
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Southern Beach with toddlers?

I know some others seeing my first reply will think you should go to Kennebunk or Ogunquit due to the "nice town" portion of your question, but there are lots of choices for eating out nearby - good seafood at Huot's or Ken's,Pier Fries (really - use vinegar, not ketchup), ice cream at Garsides, Fielder's Choice or Martel's, etc. I just read an article about Biddeford's emergence on the Maine food scene. If you haven't been there lately, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 07:09
Mentioned in this post
Kennebunk
Kennebunk
Kennebunks, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,049 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Southern Beach with toddlers?

Crescent Beach just south of Portland is a good option with small children. It has very gentle waves, bathrooms, showers to get sand off, snack bar and parking lot.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Southern Beach with toddlers?

Crescent Beach has a major seaweed problem this summer, and another recent poster reported a terrible smell there.I would head to Ocean Park, and if there's no parking then Ferry Beach State Park

Mentioned in this post
Ferry Beach State Park
Ferry Beach State Park
90 Reviews
Saco, ME
NYC
Level Contributor
73 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Southern Beach with toddlers?

Thank you :)

NYC
Level Contributor
73 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Southern Beach with toddlers?

Thank you for all of your ideas! We opted for Crescent Beach and thought it was wonderful. If there was a seaweed problem, we didn’t notice. There were bathrooms, kayak rentals and plenty of parking. My 3 year old swam in the ocean for the first time - of course we took him to FL in the spring but he wouldn’t step foot in the water, but loves the chilly ME water!

Brigantine, New...
Level Contributor
707 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Southern Beach with toddlers?

Thanks for letting us know and congrats to your 3 year old's first ocean adventure

Reply to: Best Southern Beach with toddlers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted