We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland to Boothbay Harbor

1 post
Save Topic
Portland to Boothbay Harbor

Coming to Maine for a wedding at Newagen Seaside Inn in September. Planning on flying into Portland on Wednesday and thinking of spending a couple of nights in Portland before heading to Newagen on Friday for wedding festivities. Any suggestions on the best hotel to stay in Portland? Thinking of HGI or Hyatt. We enjoy breweries and history/exploring cities and local culture and light houses. Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland to Boothbay Harbor

Both the hotels you name are in the same area, so just book which ever one appeals or that you can get the best deal (also in the same area: Portland Harbor Hotel, Regency, Marriott).

I haven't been on the Maine Brew Bus, (mainebrewbus.com) but hear it's very good----they have something like 35 breweries on their list, and of course then you don't need to worry about driving.

For history, I suggest contacting Greater Portland Landmarks, which runs a variety of historical walking tours (portlandlandmarks.org).

Lighthouses are easy if you have a car, otherwise you are going to need Uber. Portland head Light in Cape Elizabeth is iconic and beautiful. Little Spring Point Light on the South Portland shoreline actually runs tours where you can go inside. Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth is nice, with the Lobster Shack right there on the rocks (Note: Lobster Shack is BYOB for alcohol,).

North Carolina
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland to Boothbay Harbor

Thank you for all of that info! I have narrowed down our hotel choice to either Hampton Inn, HGI, Hyatt or Regency. We are using points for this stay so I don’t want to suck up too many points but as I read more reviews it sounds like a few of these hotels could be in a noisy part of the area. We are light sleepers and not night owls so this does create a little concern. Since our stay is a Wed/Thurs evening, should we even be concerned about noise? it seems like the Hampton will be the quietest and free breakfast is a plus but I like the idea of the uniqueness of the Regency.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,312 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland to Boothbay Harbor

I've never found the Portland Regency to have a problem with street noise. The front faces its own courtyard and the two sides are quiet streets with no bar business. The balcony rooms are large and nicely appointed.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,246 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland to Boothbay Harbor

Hampton Inn should be pretty quiet.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland to Boothbay Harbor

People staying at Portland Harbor Hotel used to complain about noise when the bars close, and the Hyatt is across the street so maybe that's an issue. The Hyatt is brand-new though, so one would think they put in noise-cancelling windows.

Both Hampton and HGI are on a very busy street, so if they have any noise at all it would be traffic. But I shouldn't think that would be a problem during the night.

I do think BonnieMaev is right; the Regency would be quietest of all.

Reply to: Portland to Boothbay Harbor
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted