We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Inn Downtown or Hyatt Place or Hilton Garden Inn

Level Contributor
44 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Hampton Inn Downtown or Hyatt Place or Hilton Garden Inn

We are going to be in Portland for just 1 day on our way home from Acadia. We are a family of 5 so our hotel options are limited.

I'm trying to decide between the Hyatt Place in Old Port and the Hampton Inn Downtown or Hilton Garden Inn.

Is the Hampton Inn too far from the "old port" area. Are the other two a better location overall?

Any thoughts, advice, other options would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
PA
Level Contributor
903 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Inn Downtown or Hyatt Place or Hilton Garden Inn

My family of four adults stayed in the Hilton a few years ago in July. We enjoyed our stay there, and loved watching the working harbor as well as the easy access to Standard Baking Company and the Old Port. It is a pricy option and breakfast isn’t included in price. We would stay again.

We also looked at the Hampton, and we would stay there as well. Our family of active adults walked by it while out wandering around. While it is further away from the waterfront, we still felt we could easily still explore the Old Port.

Michigan
Level Contributor
203 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Inn Downtown or Hyatt Place or Hilton Garden Inn

We're a family of 5, too, and we're staying at the Hampton Inn in a couple weeks. It was the best price so that's why I chose it. Hope it's nice and in a good location!

Level Contributor
44 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton Inn Downtown or Hyatt Place or Hilton Garden Inn

Thanks TravPa! I'm leaning more toward the Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn because I can request a room with a view. The HGI doesn't have free breakfast, but maybe that's a good thing. Reading some reviews of some good breakfast places to visit.

We may be there at the same time Oliver30. I think you can't go wrong with the Hampton Inn. Still in walking distance of "old port" and near the observatory and other attractions.

Rockville, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton Inn Downtown or Hyatt Place or Hilton Garden Inn

We've stayed in all 3 places. Hyatt is new and beautiful but not as close to the shore. It was a little noisier. The vibe we got there was more of an adult hotel. Breakfast in included; the food was good but it was crowded with not quite enough seating. HGI is lovely; the rooms we've gotten were all good sized and it's close to everything. We've been lucky enough to get high floors and/or corner rooms so the views are nice. Hampton Inn is very, very nice and the location is also terrific. We like the free breakfast as we all get up at different times. Their pool is nice and their rates seem to be the best. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Reply to: Hampton Inn Downtown or Hyatt Place or Hilton Garden Inn
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Portland
Recent Conversations