We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good areas for hotels, not needed near beaches

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
328 posts
307 reviews
138 helpful votes
Good areas for hotels, not needed near beaches
Save

Bottom line question: I am wondering if anyone might have suggestions of where we might want to stay near Ogunquit that would not be "competing" with people who want a beach vacation.

We are thinking of heading to Ogunquit for a couple days around the start of our vacation, as we are changing our vacation plans last minute. I had everything solidified for the trip we were going to take, but now that we are changing direction at the last minute, I need some help.

We are not interested in spending days at the beach on this trip. (We are fortunate to get to do that pretty regularly.) We do plan to take in the water views, however--something we love--and would be fine with taking a walk on a beach or a dip in the water, but given hotel prices and popularity, we do not plan/need to stay near the water.

It's a popular (pricey) time of year to look for a hotel last minute, and so much seems beach-oriented when I look. Additionally, many hotels are sold out for our dates. So...HELP, please, with places outside of the beach areas, that ay be available (and more reasonable)!

(We were using points at a Marriot on our already-planned vacation but realize we may not be able to do so last minute this way. Again, many are sold out when I do searches.)

(If, in addition, someone has a specific hotel recommendation in a neighborhood/area we have not thought about, we are all ears. We like to stay in Marriott=branded hotels because of points, but we are open to other suggestions.)

(Please note I will be posting similarly on an Portland page. Our prospective new itinerary, if we are able to find what we want hotel-wise, is to start in Portland, then go to Ogunquit, then head to Portmouth/Salem/Gloucester/Rockport. Mentioning this just in case someone has a lightbulb idea of note!)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP! Sorry for the long post, but thought giving more info might be helpful for those responding! :)

3 replies to this topic
Aurora, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Santa Fe, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
251 reviews
416 helpful votes
1. Re: Good areas for hotels, not needed near beaches
Save

Check out Sea Rose Suites. Highly rated and very reasonable. Located in a very walkable location. Full disclosure: I haven’t stayed there yet but am booked in for October. https://searosesuites.com/

Keith

Level Contributor
12,688 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Good areas for hotels, not needed near beaches
Save

Ogunquit has a year-round population of about a thousand people, so you aren't going to find any "Marriott" type property in the area.

I find your post a little bit confusing but if you want to tell us where you've found availability near Ogunquit we might be able to tell you the pros and cons of each location. Either that or let us know your dates and your budget, without that information you will probably just get a lot of advice about places that aren't even available or are too pricey.

That said, if you find something near Portland that works for you, Ogunquit is a nice day-trip from Portland. You can get a glimpse of Old Orchard Beach, Cape Porpoise, Kennebunkport on the way or on the way back.

Edited: 25 August 2021, 03:56
Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
113 reviews
91 helpful votes
3. Re: Good areas for hotels, not needed near beaches
Save

Portland has several Marriott properties but like many parts of Maine rates are very high, especially on weekends. We are headed to Camden Sunday and then backtracking to Ogunquit. In Ogunquit we are staying at Gorges Grant Hotel which is probably 1/2 miles to the beach. Another we have stayed at in the past is Jupiter Hill about 1/4 mi to the village/beach.

Reply to: Good areas for hotels, not needed near beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.