We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearby hikes (other than beaches) and museum?

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
672 posts
18 reviews
Nearby hikes (other than beaches) and museum?

In late September, we'll be in Portland for a couple of days, and want to spend one nice day and overnight between Boston and Portland. We fly into Boston arriving late Thursday night. We'll stay at a Logan hotel that night, and pick up our car Friday morning. We have to be in Portland by Saturday evening. Considering different options for a one day and night place, including Ogunquit, which sound lovely. We like to do a nice day-hike when we travel (not super strenuous, but more than a paved trail). We also enjoy museums - how is that art museum? And can you recommend a nice B&B?. Note that we are not looking for Boston ideas this time, but if there's a better place than Ogunquit to make this overnight stop, feel free to suggest.

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Nearby hikes (other than beaches) and museum?

You might wanna drive up Thursday night when traffic is light, instead of dealing with Boston area traffic on Friday morning. I know you're arriving late, but it will be 3 hours earlier for your Berkeley body clocks, and Ogunquit is under 90 minutes. If you choose to drive Thursday night, you'll have to check your inn to make sure they allow after-midnight check-in.

We like Terrace by the Sea but check the hotel section for something that suits you, there are thousands of reviews.

For a hike I would head to the area of the Wells Reserve and the Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge.

https://www.alltrails.com/us/maine/ogunquit

https://www.alltrails.com/us/maine/wells

Edited: 05 August 2018, 02:31
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
672 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Nearby hikes (other than beaches) and museum?

Thanks for the walk suggestions, TomMalley. I know there are dozens of hotels/inns, almost too many to sift through!

I appreciate the reminder about the time difference, but considering that our flight will almost certainly arrive late (based on experience), an a day of traveling is itself a little tiring, we prefer to get a good night's sleep before even an hour+ drive. Do you really think Boston area traffic heading north will be horrible mid-morning on a Friday in September?

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Nearby hikes (other than beaches) and museum?

I agree with Toms suggestion of nice hikes. Mt Agamenticus would be a nice hike as well.

You can hike up from the bottom or you can drive to the top and have beautiful views in all directions and choose several very nice trails around the summit.

As far as traffic goes mid September, on a Friday morning, I do not think you will have any problems as long as it is before 1PM, after that it could get a bit heavier.

Reply to: Nearby hikes (other than beaches) and museum?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit