We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local opinions about Georgetown

INDIANA
Level Contributor
112 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Local opinions about Georgetown

Can't find too much information about Georgetown other than Reid State Park/Five Islands... Can anyone share their experience with the area? I am guessing it is small and sounds a little remote, which is actually fine. I was just curious about the "local" opinions. We will be visiting in June. Sagadahoc bay.

Mentioned in this post
Reid State Park
Reid State Park
236 Reviews
Georgetown, ME
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local opinions about Georgetown

Small and remote are pretty good descriptors. Here's a good driving tour that outlines what's there:

…about.com/od/…GeorgetownMaine.htm

INDIANA
Level Contributor
112 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local opinions about Georgetown

Thank you so much! That is a great link and gives me some info I was looking for!

New England
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local opinions about Georgetown

REid State Park is the biggest draw. My other favorite thing to do in Georgetown is eat on the dock at Five Islands. Bring your own wine or beer. Bath is only 20 minutes away with a great cooking store, some antique stores and The Maine Maritime Museum. I don't chekc this forum regularly, but if you send me a message I will reply.

Mentioned in this post
Reid State Park
Reid State Park
236 Reviews
Georgetown, ME
Maine Maritime Museum
Maine Maritime Museum
533 Reviews
Bath, ME
Ottawa, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Local opinions about Georgetown

Hi we are looking to rent a place in Maine, but having difficulty deciding where to stay, so far we are looking at vacation rentals by owner 2 in Georgetown- mussel cove and gull's nest, and then one in Cundy's Harbour and one in Milbridge. any opinions on which area or place might be best for a family with an 8 year old, a 16 month old, and a newborn- all boys!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local opinions about Georgetown

Momofboys --

Would suspect you'll get a wider and better response to your questions if you post them as a new, separate question rather than leave them buried four or five responses down in someone else's post.

Just scroll up this page, watching the left-center of the page for something called "Add a New Topic". Click on it, fill in a title for your post, maybe something like "Georgetown, Cundy's Harbor or Milbridge for vacation rental", write out your question, and hit the orange submit button.

That will get your question, under its own heading, onto the Maine Forums page, where those of us who regularly check for questions about Maine will see it. Bet you'll get more answers there than here.....

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Ottawa, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Local opinions about Georgetown

Thank you!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local opinions about Georgetown

We are "from away" but are local Five Islands "summer people" in Georgetown since we bought our cottage in 1999 (Mussel Cove mentioned by momofboys_10). Small and a little remote is a good description, but we have never felt bored or removed while staying here, just relaxed in a way we can't achieve at home (we have no TV here nor high speed wireless).

It's really all about the sea in Georgetown, and we are blessed with Reid State Park (which could easily consume a full week if you really explore the place and don't just sit at the beach or lagoon). We purchase a pass at the beginning of the season and use it for ourselves and leave it for our guests.

There are tidepools to explore. Mackeral to jig for at the town wharf. Clams to dig at Reid. Swimming at Charles' pond. Trails to hike at Reid, Ledgemere, and the Josephine Neuman sanctuary. Seafood and ice cream to consume. Five Island farms market local veggies and artisan cheeses to try. 5 star dining at Robinhood Meetinghouse or in the rough lobster at Sarah's dockside or the 5 Islands Wharf. Old fashioned parades, boat blessings, laughing gulls, osprey, seals, wild turkeys, and maybe even a moose.

Rent a kayak and explore Macmahan Island and the Islands of the 5 Islands (or stay at a place like ours that has a kayak). Pick up a good book at a store in Bath or at the sometimes open little library. Check out the Maine Maritime Museum and antique shops in Bath. Take an excursion to famous LL Bean or to Rockland to the Farnsworth Museum. Drive into Portland and catch baseball the way it used to be (Sea Dogs) - it's only 45 min and $40 for a family of 4.

Do a puzzle. Read a book. Make new friends. Or...just sit on the rocker on the dock and watch the tide come and go.

Mentioned in this post
Reid State Park
Reid State Park
236 Reviews
Georgetown, ME
Maine Maritime Museum
Maine Maritime Museum
533 Reviews
Bath, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
INDIANA
Level Contributor
112 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local opinions about Georgetown

rentthis- you mention a kayak. Can you recommend a good place to rent one in Georgetown? Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local opinions about Georgetown

In the summer one of the local outfitters sets up in the parking lot of the country store, but this being seasonal...there's no guarantee they will do it again this season. There is a place on the Old Bath Road on the way to Brunswick that rents kayaks, unfortunately the name eludes me. Maybe New Meadows? We found all our guests wanted to kayak, as did we, so we supply one at the cottage. Many of the waterfront rentals will have kayaks there, but might not say it in the ad-just ask. I don't know if the place at the country store delivers to the dock, but the old outfitter in town did - again - just ask. If you call the Georgetown Country Store, they should be able to help you out 207-371- 2106.

INDIANA
Level Contributor
112 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local opinions about Georgetown

Thanks for the info. The lady at the country store said no rental this year from their location. (or the past couple apparently) West Bath was who she recommended. So, is it worth it to do the kayaking in your opinion? I know our rental does not have one, so we would have to do all the arranging ourselves.

Get answers to your questions about Georgetown