We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine in June

Level Contributor
112 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Maine in June

Taking and "extended family" vacation to Georgetown, Me. Indian Point on Sagadahoc Bay...the end of June-first weekend of July. Staying in a great rental. Any good advice for adventure/food in the area. Daily Temps. And what's the norm for black flies and mosquitoes that time of year. We are familiar with the Portland are, but not so much on up the coast.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maine in June

That's the week we usually go to our place in Georgetown (Five Islands on the Little Sheepscot), and black flies are not a problem for us there. Mosquitoes depend entirely on the previous two weeks of weather, and are unpredictable. You'll want to take a look at my recent post on Georgetown and maybe my list of 5 not to miss. I recommend the following for food without leaving Georgetown: 1. Sarah's Dockside if they open this summer - off Five Islands Road. 2. Five Islands Wharf - have a Jenny Sandwich (crab cake and haddock) - both #1 &2 are perfect for fried clams, scallops, steamers, and lobster too but it's cheaper at Sarah's - and better boat access if you have one.

3. Stop at Five Islands Farm on 127 on the way into the wharf and pick up whatever is fresh for veggies for the grill. Be sure to grab some artisan cheeses to sample.

4. Georgetown Country Store - yes that's right. There is a grill in the back of the store, and since we can't get good cheesesteak on the west coast, this is a must eat when we are here. Sit at the counter and enjoy the local conversation.

5. Robinhood Meeting House - make a reservation well in advance. This is 5 star dining in rural Maine.

There are plenty of good restaurants "up in Bath" as well, but since you are staying in a vacation rental, stock up at Shaws on your way down, and enjoy your grill.

You may get great beach weather, but if you don't, just put on a jacket and get out to Reid anyway. The tidepools there are among the best in the world if you ask me, and this place is so much fun when no one is there. Just bring bug spray. If it rains a lot of days...go into Brunswick for a movie - that always saves us.

2. Re: Maine in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Georgetown