We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in the Camden/Rockport Area in August

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in the Camden/Rockport Area in August

Hi Again!

We are looking for a hotel to stay in for three nights in August in the Camden/Rockport area. I've checked out the reviews and still am not sure where to stay.

Price range up to $300 per night. We would prefer a nice hotel over a bed and breakfast. We are a family of three (parents and one teenage boy)

Any ideas?????

Thanks!!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in the Camden/Rockport Area in August

While I hesitate to make specific property recommendations, I do have a suggestion for you....

Camden has worked hard over the years to maintain it's "coastal village" feel (with only partial success in my personal opinion), and in doing so has not encouraged development of traditional hotels. It is, however, noted for some of its Inns and B&B's, which don't sound like what you're after.

Same with Rockport -- with the exception of the Samoset -- which is a resort-style hotel with great ocean frontage, it's own highly-rated 18-hole golf course, multiple on-property timeshare units, and overnight room rates that take all that into consideration.

Most of the rest of the accommodations along that section of Rt 1 fall into the category of seasonal motels and motor courts -- again, not what most folks think of when they say "hotel."

If you really want the traditional "hotel" experience, I'd suggest you expand your search to include Rockland -- only another 4 or 5 miles down the road... In addition to some locally-owned properties, it also has at least one nationally-name-branded property -- the Hampton Inn. It's not on the ocean, or really very near it, but if you're looking for the peace of mind of getting a "known quantity" it might fit the bill.

Haven't stayed at the Samoset in years and never stayed at the Hampton, because Rockland-Rockport-Camden are all easy day trips for us....just wanted to give you some idea of why you might have/be having trouble finding what you're after and to offer a couple of general ideas.... Certainly hooe you get some more specific suggestions from folks who have direct experience with one or more properties in that area. Camden-Rockport really is a great part of the mid-Coast.

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in the Camden/Rockport Area in August

I appreciate the advice. I think looking into the Rockland area is a great idea!

Thanks!!

3. Re: Where to stay in the Camden/Rockport Area in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 16:45
Get answers to your questions about Camden