We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any high bridge?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
any high bridge?

My friend and I are thinking spending a week in Camden and Ogunquit in Oct. We will fly to either Boston or Portland. Now here is this odd question - is there any high bridge, like Chesapeake Bay Bridge, on the way to Camden or Ogunquit from either airport? Sorry for this odd and stupid question but both of us have a great fear driving across high bridge. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any high bridge?

I don't like high bridges and the one in Portsmouth new Hampshire crossing over into Maine is a doozy....so you might want to fly into Portland instead. Portland has a bridge crossing into South Portland but you probably won't use that.

If you do fly into Boston, there is a smaller bridge you can use to cross into Maine if you take a detour, and it is not bad at all at night-time. During the day you might still find it scary.

Manchester NH is another city to consider flying into, rates are sometimes lower than Portland and so are the car rentals. From Manchester you can take back roads into Maine and avoid that Portsmouth bridge.....the backroads take longer but it is some nice driving. If you choose this airport let us know so that we can advice you as to the best route through the countryside to Ogunquit, avoiding big bridges.

Also I think there are some big bridges near Wiscasset? But you can avoid this area by taking another route from Ogunquit up to Camden, there are several ways to get to Camden.

Edited: 14 September 2010, 10:21
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any high bridge?

The bridge in Wiscasset is not high, so no reason to avoid it. However, you might consider the bridge in Bath high.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any high bridge?

Given your criteria, Portland would be your best choice of airport.... Gets you closer to both Camden and Ogunquit with less driving after you land.... Avoids issues of "detours" around the high-level bridges between Portsmouth, NH and Kittery, ME (both issues from Boston or Manchester airports into Maine unless you want to spend (waste?) additional time and miles to avoid them

Portland to Ogunquit shouldn't cause any bridge "issues".....

Portland to Camden could involve a high-level bridge in Bath if you stay on US Rt 1 all the way....but most of us who live here recommend a different route anyway....

From the airport in Portland, take I-95 (the Maine Turnpike) north toward Augusta. Note of Caution: Do not confuse I-95 and I-295..... I-295 has a short but high bridge on the north end of Portland which could be a problem for you.... So, I-95 to Exit 109 into Augusta. Keep right for ME Rt 17 East toward Rockland. About 35 miles out of Augusta, take a left onto ME Rt 90, which will take you to US Rt 1. Turn left onto Rt 1 and it's just a short ride into Camden. Entire trip from Portland Airport to Camden should take just a hair over two hours driving time.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: any high bridge?

Thank you all for the messages. I am not only looking at the map now, but also trying to get another person to go with us, so he can drive. :-)

Again, thanks for the helpful information.

5. Re: any high bridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Camden