We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help travel from the White Mountains, NH to Maine Oct

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help travel from the White Mountains, NH to Maine Oct

We are planning a fall foilage driving trip. Starting point is Manchester, NH. We were planning to stay 2 days in the White Mountains Oct 4 - Oct 5 and then drive over to Maine Oct 6 - Oct 9, flying out of Manchester, NH on Sat Oct 10th.

What route should we take to drive from the White Mountains to Maine?

How do you recommend we build our itineray to enjoy Maine for four days Oct 6 - Oct 9th. We don't want to spend time shopping, we prefer to see the beauty of the area.

We thought we should stay in Portmouth, NY the evening of Oct 9th so we won't have a very long drive to Manchester airport the following day.

Marge

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,365 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help travel from the White Mountains, NH to Maine Oct

Hi,

We are doing a similar trip the first week of October- flying into Manchester, NH also. We are spending 3 nights in the White Mts. then heading to Bar Harbor for two nights. After Bar Harbor we are heading down the coast to Bucksport, Camden and Rockland and spending the night in the Freeport/Brunswick area. Then continuing the drive down the coast to Cape Elizabeth, Kennebunkport and Ogunquit before we head back to Manchester to fly home. Enjoy your trip. Two great websites that I have found are www.visitwhitemountains.com and www.visitmaine.com.

Maine
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help travel from the White Mountains, NH to Maine Oct

As to your drive from the White Mountains to Maine, it would help to know where in the White Mountains you will be! My suggestion is Route 302 which will take you thru some of the lake areas and into Portland. From Portland you can take Rt 1 north or south, depending on what you'd like to see.

Driving up the coast is beautiful at this time of year. You can also head inland to the mountains.

Please be aware of the difficulty you may have trying to book one night on a holiday weekend, anywhere in the area you are talking about.

Altho you have mentioned not wanting to shop, I still recommend Freeport as 'home port' while you are traveling around Maine. Ignore the shopping completely and you still have a lovely town with 10 different restaurants in walking distance to quite a lot of the best accommodations in town.

Freeport is an easy drive to lighthouses, hiking, sailing, beaches, scenic drives and more.

Stay at any one of the B&B's on this website and the innkeepers will be happy to help you plan the Maine portion of your vacation!

www.historicfreeportbedandbreakfasts.com

Portsmouth, NH is a lovely town and an easy drive to the Manchester airport. Again it may be difficult to book one night anywhere but a hotel.

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help travel from the White Mountains, NH to Maine Oct

Are you going to stay in one place for 3 nights in the White Mountains? We were thinking of staying in Jackson, NH for two nights but this will cause us to do some back tracking as we explore the White Mountains.

We were also considering only going as far north in Maine as Bar Harbor. From Jackson to Bar Harbor is almost a 5 hour drive. I guess that is the most direct way to get over to the coast.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,365 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help travel from the White Mountains, NH to Maine Oct

Yes staying in the same place in North Conway. Reservations need to be made ASAP. Made mine in Feb.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help travel from the White Mountains, NH to Maine Oct

Could be a little early for peak foliage, so I'd look for a route that maximizes your chance of seeing some... It generally moves from north to south, with the mountains and higher elevations changing first, the coast last.

From Jackson, NH, I'd recomment the following:

NH Rt 16 from Jackson north to Gorham, NH -- takes you through White Mountains National Forest and Pinkham Notch area which can be very scenic along a good road and easy traveling. From Gorham, turn east on US Rt 2 and follow it east to Farmington, ME -- parallels the Androscoggin River for several miles and passes through some of the western Maine mountains offering a good chance for foliage. Just east of Farmington, take Maine Rt 27 south to Augusta, passing through the scenic Belgrade Lakes region along the way. From Augusta, you have two choices depending on how much more time you want to spend on the road....first, fastest choice, is I-95 north to Bangor, then US Rt 1A and Maine Rt 3 to Bar Harbor; or, second, Maine Rt 3 to Belfast (on the coast) and US 1 to Ellsworth and Rt 3 to Bar Harbor. The second choice offers a more coastal route, but could turn out being a duplication if you decide to use the coastal route on your way back south. My recommendation -- use I-95 from Augusta to Bangor on your way to Bar Harbor, then after a couple of days in Bar Harbor, head south along the coast US 1, with another stop of two on your way to Portsmouth.

Would also echo the word of caution about getting hotel reservations made immediately -- fall foliage tourism is big business in Maine and places fill up quickly.

Have a great trip...

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help travel from the White Mountains, NH to Maine Oct

Thank you for the detailed route from the White Mountains to Bar Harbor. I will finalize my reservations today or tomorrow. I have my reservations for the White Mountains, I wanted to settle on a route before I made reservations in Maine.

7. Re: Need Help travel from the White Mountains, NH to Maine Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 10:53
Get answers to your questions about Camden