We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid September - couple of questions

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Mid September - couple of questions

This will be our third time in Camden, however they have been spaced far enough apart that I don't remember too much other than we really like the town. Renting a house with six adults and two kids.

Any recommendations on dinner spots on the water, appropriate for kids? We'd like to eat out one night.

Want to do a sunset cruise. Recommendation on which boat is the "biggest" - may help with stability of the 3 year old. I have read all the reviews on all the boats, but can't find sizes of the boat. All the reviews are so good, would be hard to pick so I think size will win out.

Anyone have a map of the lighthouses within 20 miles or so? Since I don't know the area, I don't want to backtrack or criss cross wasting time. Would like to go in an orderly way - north to south or south to north, etc.

We like to tour around by day and generally eat in at night since we have the kids. Recommendations on produce or local goods? I see there is still a farmers market on Sat/Wed but others for in between? Seems I remember a large produce stand/company within about 10 miles?

Recommendation on some of the open air style lobster ponds that have a restaurant attached. There used to be many that you could bring your own cooler and buy their lobsters and sit on the deck and watch the boats. Any of those still around - either Camden area - or will be driving from Portland to Camden - so could go to one or two further away as well. This is what we like to do everyday - go sit on the water and have lobsters. Nothing fancy.

Source to purchase wholesale lobsters we can cook at home? We eat lobster in some form or fashion everyday - whether at home or at the lobster pound.

Any recommendations on anything else to do with kids? We will go see the Oreo cows and Mt. Battie, and the sunset cruise.

Thanks so very much for any help on these questions!

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid September - couple of questions

The Lobster Pound restaurant in Lincolnville is a nice spot on the water for families. Or if you're thinking "not lobster on the night out"...maybe Peter Ott's.

For produce & local items, Fresh off the Farm in Rockport and Megunticook Market. Be sure to pick up an "Amy's Pie" or two somewhere.

Graffam Brothers has a seafood market on one side of the road, and a takeout fried-seafood/ lobster roll shack on the other. Miller's in Spruce Head and Young's in Belfast are two places I know of where you can enjoy the view & purchase live lobsters to go, or cooked lobsters to eat there. The rental home owner may have good recommendations for shopping/produce/lobsters near your house.

Take a drive one night to Liberty for John's Handmade Ice Cream, it's worth the trip. Or even spend an afternoon there at the Lake St George St Park & have a swim and then a cone.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid September - couple of questions

I have recommended this website often for this area, it will have all the info I think you will need. In the guide book it has a section on boating of all kinds, including size, passenger capacity, charters, and the many cruises. The website is www.mainedreamvacations.com. I have been to Maine and Camden many times and I still fine all this info helpful because there are always changes while many things remain the same great experiences. Have a great time!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid September - couple of questions

As for lighthouse - Please stop by the Maine Lighthouse Museum in Rockland,ME. It is right near the Main street.

They have a large map display of lighthouses in the region. If I remember right they used to give paper maps with directions as well.

Seneca, South...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid September - couple of questions

Thanks so much, going in Sept, just the two of us. Where should we stay?

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid September - couple of questions

Thank you all so much! Will take all this in and plan accordingly!

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid September - couple of questions

If you're going to be there a week. A house rental is really nice. If just a short few days we like the Lord Camden Inn or the grand Harbour. Good luck!

Reply to: Mid September - couple of questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Camden
Recent Conversations