We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

Hi there

Can anyone give some guidance please... I have 1 night on my New England fall schedule to spend at either Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor. Can anyone give me any recommendations?? I Like quaint village set ups and scenery but would prefer things to be open and it seems a lot of inns close mid October (I would be there late Oct).

Many thanks for any info you can give me.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

How late in October? After the 23rd or so, even the southernmost towns in Maine could be past peak.

So, you might go the farthest south in Maine that you can.

Consider the southern Maine coast. Kennebunkport, York & Ogunquit are all pretty towns with foliage. And, if you have only one night in Maine, you really don't want to have to drive an awful long way to get to your base point an then drive back the next day (Acadia, Camden).

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

Thanks Michele - I am actually looking at one night in either Ogunquit or Kennebunkport first, then on to either Boothbay or Camden and will then move over to North Conway/Vermont etc. Just not sure whether to stay at Boothbay or Camden so would appreciate your thoughts and advice on these two places please as 1-night stopovers.

Many thanks.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

I don't recall ever being in Boothbay near peak, so I can't compare it to Camden in terms of best foliage. I will say, however, the view of Camden from the top of Mt. Battie has to be one of the most photographed fall foliage scenes. It's stunning and would make me vote for driving the extra hour or so to get to Camden.

raleigh
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

Bar harbor is a tourist trap, but has good restaurants from what I've read. Boothbay is GREAT!! if staying near Bar Harbor, go to camden instead or a smaller town right outside of Bar Harbor

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

I'd go for Camden. Michelle S is right about the view from Mt. Battie, it is stunning. Camden stays pretty lively even in the off season, plenty of dining and lodging options.

oregon
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

We just returned from those areas, Camden was our favorite..The Hartstone Inn...beyond wonderful. Boothbay Harbor we loved and the Topside Inn does a terrific job. How about a night in each...you will not regret it.

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

FYI, Boothbay is kinda quiet this time of year and if you prefer things to be open then alot of Boothbay is already closed! (I work at the small hospital there). I would definately take the Camden, Mt. Battie suggestion mentioned above. There is an auto road, you don't have to hike to see amazing views! Have fun, hope for no rain !

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

Bar Harbor is a tourist trap? And Camden isn't? I don't quite understand this. Both towns offer services to tourists. Neither town is a Pigeon Forge or a Gatlinburg, Tennessee with all the outlet malls, waterpark slides, four story chain motels, country music shows, and miles of strip development.

Both towns have a rather quaint village setting on the water. Both towns have charming, non-chain motels and Bed and Breakfasts. Both towns have shops that sell everything from t-shirts to trinkets to rather decent art.

I think Bar Harbor's setting and surroundings have an advantage over Camden. The village of Bar Harbor itself is much more open to the ocean than is Camden. Camden has a very closed-in sailing harbor. From town, one sees a rather nice waterfall and lots of sailboats. Whereas Bar Harbor has several walks along the water from which one can see islands, lobster boats, a few sailing ships, and some wide views of water.

In Camden, once you've shopped the stores and drove up to Mount Battie for the view, you're done. In Bar Harbor you have all of Acadia National Park to explore, kayaking, bicycle rental to see the carriage roads in Acadia, whale watches, a ferry to Nova Scotia, Park-sponsored boat trips, and more.

When one is a tourist, tourist amenities are not a "trap".

pbz
Chicago
Level Contributor
436 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

Let's face it the original poster picked 3 great towns. A quaint village with scenery could describe Camden, Bar Harbor OR Boothbay Harbor. Is Bar Harbor a little more touristy--yes. But still very quaint and a great stopover for the night as are either of the two above.

I would mention my travelogue where we hit all 3 but unfortunately we were so smitten with Boothbay Harbor, that we almost completely forgot to take any pictures there. Pity.. I think Wiscasset would lose their "prettiest village in Maine" to Boothbay Harbor if it were put to a vote.

Camden and Bar Harbor will give the OP's camera a workout too. You really can't go wrong. Maybe Bar Harbor and Boothbay Harbor are just a little more off the beaten path, if that makes a difference to the OP "passing through".

/pbz

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boothbay Harbor, Camden or Bar Harbor??

I am a huge fan of Acadia. And, if all things were equal, I'd always pick Bar Harbor over Boothbay and Camden. Not for Bar Harbor per se, but because of Acadia.

But Jazzie said for "one night" and then elaborated that the night before they would be in Southern Maine and the night after in NH. So, the drive all the way to Acadia seems excessive.

Imagine how frustrating it would be to spend all that time driving to Acadia only to have very little time to actually do anything or see anything.

Camden is lovely, it's easier to figure out than Boothbay, and IMHO worth driving an extra hour to get there.

Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor