We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

Hello there. This question may be difficult to answer but would anyone out there know how much it would cost to pay tolls on a drive from NYC to Bath, Maine? Any input is greatly appreciated as my family and I are looking to take a ride in our car for a nice trip. Thanks in advance!!

10 replies to this topic
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,216 posts
158 reviews
1. Re: Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

Tough to even take a guess at this question without knowing which routes you plan to use -- there is more than one option for getting from NYC to the Massachusetts-New Hampshire border where I-95 becomes your best route choice if you want to avoid congested coastal villages in New Hampshire and Maine and just get to Bath as quickly as possible.... For example, sections of I-90 (the Massachusetts Turnpike) are toll roads; as are parts of I-95 in Connecticut. Both will get you to I-495 or I-95 in Massachusetts, which are not toll roads.... If you can tell us your planned route, we may be able to make an educated guess as to what your toll costs might be.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2. Re: Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I'm definitely interested in the I-95 and I-495 options if they indeed are the best routes for avoiding potential congestion. With that in mind, what kind of costs do you think I'll be looking at toll wise? Obviously, I'll have to look into potential travel routes a little more of course. Thanks again for your input!

Rockville, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
194 reviews
3. Re: Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

From NYC your best bet is to go over one of the bridges ($6.50) and take the Hutch/Merrit to 684 to Rt 84 to Rt 90 (Mass Pike). No tools on any of those roads. The Mass Pike to Rt 495 will only cost you a little over $1.00. Next toll is in NH and I think that's $2.00. Maine from York to Portland (295) is around $3-$4. Those are all w/out EZPass which will give you some discounts.

Boston...
Level Contributor
941 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

Not a complete list but whatever tolls I can remember on this route -

I-95 NYC - I-84 Hartford - I-495 - I-95 NH/Maine - I-295

* GW Bridge - Current price??

* I-95 (Rye,NY) - Don't Remember

* I-84 to I-90 - $1.70

* I-95 New Hampshire - $2.00

* I-95 Maine(Wells,ME) - $2.00

* I-295 (Portland,ME) - $1.00

All the amounts are approx, I might be off by a dollar or two.

NYC area
Level Contributor
433 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

Just want to add that EZ Pass will not only save you some money, but will usually enable you to get through the tolls much more quickly. At busy times, the lines to pay can be quite long.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6. Re: Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

You guys are incredible! Thank you so much!!!

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
7. Re: Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

Why not Google that toll question?

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

We do that drive all the time for years now and do 84 to 90 to 495 to 95 as suggested. The Mass Pike (90) no longer has toll booths and will send you a bill after your trip for each way (unless you have their transponder) and you can just pay it online. It is a bit more than $1.70 this way.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,501 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

The OP won't cross the GWB leaving from NYC, and there are no tolls at all anywhere in Connecticut. Regardless of which route you choose through Connecticut, your first toll will be on I-90, the Mass Pike. You can either take that to I-290 north through Worcester and then connect to I-495, or stay on I-90 to 495. I do this drive all the time and use I-290. With an out of state EZ pass it's sixty cents. It's a cashless toll so If you don't have an EZ pass they'll bill you based on your license plate. It will be a little higher if you stay on I-90 to I-495, but not much.

Your next toll will be the New Hampshire Turnpike on I-95. That's $2.00. The Maine Turnpike will have a $3.00 toll soon after you enter Maine. If you exit at I-295 and take that up to US 1 there will be another one dollar toll. I think it's a bit higher if you stay on I-95 to the "Falmouth Spur" and use that to connect to I-295.

Both Maine and New Hampshire tolls can be paid in cash or with an EZ pass.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,501 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: Driving from NYC to Bath, ME

I should have added that if you leave NYC on I-95 you will have an additional $1.75 toll in Westchester County. I drive this route as far as Portland Maine all the time and I never use I-95 until I reach the Massachusetts-New Hampshire state line.

I much prefer the Hutchinson Parkway to Merritt Parkway to Wilbur Cross Parkway route (and they're all the same road with just a name change.) No trucks and a much prettier drive. It's all expressway, but built a long time ago for "pleasure driving." There are two lanes each way and they're somewhat narrower than on I-95 and there are more exits/entrances to be aware of. But, to me, it's a much more pleasant experience.

Reply to: Driving from NYC to Bath, ME
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations