We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath to Franconia Notch, NH--how long to travel?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Bath to Franconia Notch, NH--how long to travel?

We are hoping to travel from Bath to Franconia Notch, see the Flume Gorge, then head to Brattleboro to stay that same night in August. How much time can we reasonably expect it to take from Bath to the Notch, and what's the best/fastest route to Brattleboro from there?

Thanks so much!

4 replies to this topic
West Springfield...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Bath to Franconia Notch, NH--how long to travel?

From Bath, ME to Franconia Notch, you'll got to Lewiston, South Paris, and Bethel, then west across US Route 2 into NH -- In Jefferson, take NH115 south/west to Twin Mountain, then south on US Route 3 to Franconia Notch.

From Franconia Notch to Brattleboro, your best bet is to follow NH116 south/west through Easton, then NH112 north/west to US302 into Woodsville. (or you can get on I-93N to Littleton and pick up US302 west to Woodsvile from there). Cross the river into Vermont, staying on 302 (take a short hitch north on 5 in the village of Wells River) then get on I-91 southbound to Bratt.

BTW, the above route will take you near to the town of Bath, New Hampshire (just so you can compare to Bath, Maine).

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,215 posts
158 reviews
2. Re: Bath to Franconia Notch, NH--how long to travel?

Tim A's route is a good one -- should take about three hours driving time from Bath ME to the northern end of Franconia Notch... Not familiar enough with the Vermont segment to give you an honest time for it....

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Bath to Franconia Notch, NH--how long to travel?

Re-reading your post, since you're going to the flume, you'll be at the southern end of Franconia Notch, so rather than go back north to Littleton, or even the Easton route, you want to continue south on I-93 to Lincoln / North Woodstock. My own inclination would be to take NH 118 south/west to Wentworth, NH25A west to Orford, a short hitch north on NH 10 in Orford to the bridge over to Fairlee, VT, and get on I-91S from there. It should be on the order of 2 hours or a bit more to Brattleboro. Unfortunately, this won't take you near Bath, New Hampshire :-(

Edited: 07 May 2012, 15:45
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Bath to Franconia Notch, NH--how long to travel?

Thank you both so much--this is a huge help! Can't wait to see this beautiful country!

Reply to: Bath to Franconia Notch, NH--how long to travel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations