We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath Good Mid-Coast Base?

Atlanta, Georgia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bath Good Mid-Coast Base?

I'm looking for a base in the mid-coastal region for day trips to Popham Beach, Reid St Pk, Boothbay, Wicasset, etc...haven't looked at all possibilities yet. Have found a reasonably-priced lodging in Bath. Is Bath a good base for 3 or 4 nights? Or is it better to have a base actually located within one of the peninsulas like Boothbay Harbor, Phippsburg or Georgetown? I want a combination of beaches, museums, historic houses, and of course lobster. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,197 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath Good Mid-Coast Base?

Not sure when your trip is but Bath/Wiscasset can be very trafficky in July and August. If you have only 3 nights I would choose a place that appeals in the area and not plan on TOO much driving. Boothbay is rocky coast/ lobster boats/ lots of dining choices but if you're looking for sandy beach time you'll want Georgetown or Phippsburg which are smaller and quieter....except for the daily influx of beachgoers.

Boston...
Level Contributor
78 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath Good Mid-Coast Base?

I really think it is perfect. The drive from Bath to Popham is easy. We stay down on the peninsula but go to Bath for food. You'll get a bit of traffic going North, but it means you'll also be a very easy ride to Brunswick (just south). I would suggest Bath for sure. It makes sense - get up and have breakfast near by or come home and have dinner near by - Brunswick is only 10 minutes so you have 2 nice little towns with some good options for eating.

(Source: vaca every year in Phippsburg.)

Mentioned in this post
Brunswick
Brunswick
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath Good Mid-Coast Base?

You would be well- situated for visitng Popham and Reid. There is traffic during the start and end of the shifts at Bath Iron Works and some traffic heading to Wiscasset and through to Boothbay, but that depends on the time of day.

Phippsburg, Maine
Level Contributor
335 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath Good Mid-Coast Base?

Bath would be the ideal base for your situation, just as Rebecca S stated. The shipyard shift change traffic slows things down for 15 minutes or so twice a day but is easy to work around, unlike the backups in Wiscasset and Camden, which are all day every day affairs in the summer.

Bath is really turning on the charm lately and when the new waterfront riverwalk development is completed in the next few years this stretch of coast will change from flyover to major tourist destination imoho. Beat the rush!

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Reply to: Bath Good Mid-Coast Base?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations