We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European river cruises

Glassboro, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
European river cruises

Anyone done European barge/river cruises? Would like to read about your experiences, both positive and negative. This is a trip my husband has wanted to do for years but we're not sure which river and cruise line to use. Thanks for your experise.

shuddered
4 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: European river cruises

we travelled with scenic on the scenic emerald in june 2009 - the ship and staff are fine but we had a cabin near the engine and the vibration was terrible making sleeping almost impossible - would suggest that if you are going on any of the scenic cruises that you get a cabin in the forward half regardless of which floor you are on otherwise the vibration and rattling will drive you mad - we paid good money for an upgrade for a supposedly superior room which looked good until the engines started running - scenic are aware of the problem but continue to sell these rooms as upgrades - on other blogs there have been unhappy customers on the scenic ruby due to sewerage smell which has evidently been there for some time and hasnt been rectified and also numerous reports of bad vibration on all scenic ships in the cabins in the back half and especially near the engines - the rooms near the engines should be heavily discounted and have a severe vibration warning on them but according to scenic they have been tested and are ok - we travelled in one these cabins and they are not ok!!!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: European river cruises

I took Viking Cruises cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna and found it well worth while. The food was good, and you can order what you like if the day's menu does not suit you ( I sometimes opted for a custom made omlet for breakfast and steak for dinner. There are many locks to go through (over 65 as I recall) and sometimes lock dealys due to heavy traffic result in less time than wanted at some stops. I would recommend not taking the included tours if you would prefer to go to other sights at that destination on your own. If you seldom travel, You might find this the best way to see a lot of Europe. Not having to pack and pack luggage every day is a big plus. The ship has internet provisions but I found internet cafes at all the disitnations were far cheaper.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: European river cruises

We are considering Uniworld Grand European Discover 16 day cruise from Vienna to Basel. Has anyone been on this tour. The boat is The River Countess. We are planning our trip for the very first part of May 2010.

Any suggestions on what to ask when booking? Does it matter whether we are on the starboard or aft side of the boat?

western australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: European river cruises

Just wondering how your river cruise went with Scenic Cruises. Did you get free alcohol any time or only at meal times and were there any out of pocket expenses. Thank you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: European river cruises

You asked for some feedback on barging. I've done 5 over the years and won't do another -- especially with Le Boat. They are simply order takers and you cannot expect them to prepare you properly for such a trip. I am interested in river cruises -- especially in Europe with either Viking or Grand Circle as I'm considering one of them for my next trip. I'll appreciate any feedback you can give me on these river cruises. Are the stops worthwhile, is the food and drink good? What are the pitfalls if any and what are the advantages I can expect. Let me know if you want further details on the barge trips. They can be fun but one needs to know which routes are good and it requires lots of preparatory work (whcih can be fun)!

Lady Lake, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: European river cruises

We just returned from our 15-day cruise on the Scenic Ruby going from Budapest and ending in Amsterdam. We had absolutely no problems with vibration or sewage smells that has been reported in the past. Everything seems to have been rectified. We had an absolutely delightful time in all ways. The food was delicious, the company was delightful and the towns were wonderful. We were some of the very few Americans on the ship and greatly enjoyed the company of our fellow passengers who were delightful Aussies. I would recommend this trip to anyone.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: European river cruises

Your message with information about the Scenic Cruises was very helpful. Those are the kinds of things one would not normally know to watch out for. It is especially noteworthy that they sold such cabins as upgrades! Thanks for the heads up. If I go on one of these I'll know better.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: European river cruises

Yes, I have done 5 of these -- all through Le Boat (which is the same company you mention & goes by 3 different names). You will find my narrative posted that covers some of the pitfalls of self barging with this company. I've had mixed results but the latest one (last month) was very disappointing. If you want more information let me know or read my feedback on this site.

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: European river cruises

We have taken 5 river trips with Viking and found them to be excellent !! The staff, rooms, food, and tours are well prepared and thought out. My mother-in-law- uses a wheelchair(Can do small amounts of walking) and they have always been willing to work with us. Have a great trip!! Happy Traveling !!

Wainwright, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: European river cruises

My husband and I are planning an Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise for July 2011. We are torn between going through Viking and Uniworld. Does anyone have any advice or insight that might help us make a final decision?