We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

Bethel Park...
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

We are planning a stop in northern ky / cincinnati on our way to Gatlinburg. I will be traveling with 12 and 9 year old and we love to see places unique to the area we are in. I have a few questions regarding my trip plan.

Trip Plan

Day 1 - (King's Island) - daughter's birthday - staying at hotel near park

Day 2 - Drive to Lexington to do Toyota tour, Mary Todd Lincoln, and KY Horse Park

Is this too much for one day? We are not very interested in horses but I feel we should go since it is such a unique place and it will give us a good feel for this area.

We will drive back to Cincy area and stay in a hotel on KY side.

Day 3 - Tour Cincinnati

I was thinking of doing Underground Railroad museum and Art Museum. Are there any other unique to Cincy places we should see? (I realize this is Lexington forum but I am assuming many people familiar with Lexington are familiar with Cincy since they are close)

We are going to baseball game that evening and stay at same hotel as previous night.

Day 4 - ????

I am debating heading back to the Lexington area to go to either Fort Boonesborough, Shaker Village, or Red RIver Gorge/Natural Bridge.

Which one do you feel is the most unique to KY and not to miss? Are there any other places in area that we should try to see in Lexington area?

Thank you for any advice!!!

Bethel Park...
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

I realize that we are bouncing back and forth between Cincy and Lexington but our baseball team is only playing the night that we are going to the game so I have to base my trip plan around that.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

Sounds like you have some great things planned! Is your family more interested in history, adventure, etc.? That could give me some guidance as to which place is best suited for your family.

Bethel Park...
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

We are interested in adventure and history (although not civil war). We love living history type places and seeing natural wonders.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

If you love living history, then you would love Shaker Village. You can hike there, although the Red River Gorge is famous for its hiking trails (there are over 100 natural arches in the area). The drive to the Gorge is about an hour from Lexington versus about 35-40 minutes to Shaker Village.

If you would like to see Fort Boonesborough, one option is to see it first thing then drive through Winchester to get on the Mountain Parkway to the Gorge. Fort Boonesborough is maybe 20 minutes out of the way.

Your second day itinerary looks good! I would tour Mary Todd Lincoln House first then go to the KY Horse Park and end at Toyota (tours are at 10, 12, and 2).

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
360 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

While you're in the area I highly recommend going to Red River Gorge. Even though we only live an hour away we spend part of our spring break there every year. We just got back from a 3 day trip. If you like to hike you will not be disappointed. Another interesting thing in the area is the reptile zoo. It's right off the Slade exit and can be accessed through the rest area parking lot. They have the largest collection of venemous snakes in the world. At 1:00 every day you can wathc them milk the snakes. They supply venom worldwide for making anti-venom. Be sure to stop at Miguel's pizza for lunch. Climber's camp there and it's quite an interesting, and delicious, stop along the way. You can easily spend a day at the Gorge.

There is also a zipline in the Gorge. we did that this year and it was a blast. We also took in Torrent Falls which is a very neat climbing area. http://torrentfalls.com/

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

You may also want to check out the Newport Aquarium across the river from Cincinnati.

http://www.newportaquarium.com/

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

I think your Day 2 itinerary is a bit much especially if you'll be driving back to Cincinnati.

Why not stay in Lexington that night and return to Cincinnati the next morning?

By the way, I'm glad you're going to visit the Mary Todd Lincoln House. It's a gem.

In Cincinnati, I recommend the Cincinnati Museum Center. They currently have a special exhibit of artifacts recovered from the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD. They also have an OmniMax movie theatre.

www.cincymuseumcenter.com

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

I'd also recommend the Newport aquarium if you have time. The purple people bridge is also close by and it's a fun area to spend some time. I would second the red river gorge area - some great trails. Natural bridge has great trails too and there is a sky lift up to the top if you don't want to hike up. Check out Miguel's pizza in that area - it may be due to the fact that I'm usually on the brink of starvation when we eat there, but their pizza is amazing! The zip lining is awesome - keep an eye on groupon & living social - we got a deal last year for the ziplining company and one we have yet to redeem for rappelling.

Bethel Park...
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions!!!

I am leaning towards Red River/Natural Bridge on Day 4 because the big yard sale on Route 127 is that weekend and I am thinking there might be a lot of people and traffic getting to Shaker Village that day.

I have added Newport Aquarium to my list of things to do and we might do Cincy Museums and skip Underground Railroad Museum after reading reviews on here.

Are there any good hotels near Red River Gorge??

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
360 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern KY / Cincinnati Itinerary Question

Natural Bridge State Park Lodge is really the only thing decent. There are tons of cabins but on weekends they generally require 2 or 3 night stays. If it's during the week you might see if Bakes Burrow cabin is available. It's through Scenic Cabin Rentals and is really close to the zipline.

A new restaurant in the area is Rockhouse. We ate there twice. Really good. They're closed on Wed.

Get answers to your questions about Lexington