We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for this weekend-child-free getaway

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
54 posts
43 reviews
Recommendations for this weekend-child-free getaway

My husband and I are heading to Dubuque this weekend for a little getaway. We're staying at Hotel Julien downtown. Any must-see/ visit places, or places off the beaten path, but fun to check out? Thinking about the elevator, Mississippi River museum, hiking around Eagle Point Park or Mines of Spain Recreation Area if the weather cooperates. I'm not finding too much for night activity. Is there an easy to search listing of live music, comedy etc. online somewhere? Or does anyone have fave bars/restaurants they want to throw out there?

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
257 reviews
1. Re: Recommendations for this weekend-child-free getaway

Sorry, I have only done the tourist sites as a day trip, don't know about dining or nightlife. The elevator and river museum are premier attractions. http://www.traveldubuque.com/ has a nightlife listing as does the Telegraph Herald. Consider phoning the welcome center at 800.798.8844, do not know if they are impartial or favor paid listings.

The Tiffany stained glass windows at St. Luke's United Methodist Church are amazing, saw them for the first time a few months ago. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g37853-d49…

Dubuque is Iowa's oldest city. One of my pleasures is just to look at the old churches and brick buildings. Chanced upon a great old neighborhood between Finley and St. Mary's hospitals (Langworthy Historic District?) with pride of place going to a big old octagonal brick house. The drive north on US 52 takes you past some other old neighborhoods. I think you will have a great time in Dubuque.

Iowa
Level Contributor
654 posts
1 review
2. Re: Recommendations for this weekend-child-free getaway

Here are 2 websites which list many of the activities going on in the Dubuque area. Hope you find something that interests you! http://dubuque365.com/ http://www.accessdubuque.com/

Iowa
Level Contributor
654 posts
1 review
3. Re: Recommendations for this weekend-child-free getaway

Some restaurants I would recommend that are local and not chain restaurants which are also walking distance from the Julien include, Pepper Sprout, L May Eatery, Vinny Vanucchi's and Crust. A few that are definitely worth driving to include, Timmerman's, Marco's, Mario's and the Copper Kettle. Lots of bars in town, one which you can walk to from the hotel and you should check out is Paul's Tap. You'll understand once you've been there.

New Hampton
Level Contributor
80 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Recommendations for this weekend-child-free getaway

Right across the street from the Julien, is a bar called the Hub. They have a heck of a happy hour, progressive price's on drinks. We always make a stop there when we're in Dubuque. And we already have reservations at the Julien for Dec, can't wait, Have fun

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
751 reviews
5. Re: Recommendations for this weekend-child-free getaway

The original post is from 2015

Dubuque
Level Contributor
1 post
99 reviews
6. Re: Recommendations for this weekend-child-free getaway

Please check out the Millwork District -- easy walk from your hotel. Lots of interesting places to see, do, and socialize. I believe one place we went to is called 7 Sisters. They had an appetizer of pretzels -- not your typical pretzel. Our group of 4 inhaled them easy.

Edited: 17 November 2018, 23:04
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
181 reviews
7. Re: Recommendations for this weekend-child-free getaway

Again, the OP was visiting in 2015.

New Hampton
Level Contributor
80 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Recommendations for this weekend-child-free getaway

OMG, guess I need to be more observant!!!!

Reply to: Recommendations for this weekend-child-free getaway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dubuque