We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bald Eagles

Chicago
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bald Eagles

I was thinking about visiting Burlington to see the Bald Eagles. It appears that the largest grouping of eagles is in your neck of the woods. Can anybody tell me where the best vantage point is?

Snake Alley
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Walking Areas
FunCity
Game & Entertainment Centres
Mosquito Park
Bodies of Water, Parks
14 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bald Eagles

The concentration of eagles varies with the icing of the Mississippi. The eagles hunt in open water below dams. During warm winters this will be farther north, during cold winters farther south. I saw hundreds of eagles north of here in Dubuque a few years ago. It has been a long time since I have seen that many here in Davenport, but admit that I am not a great birder.

Look for bald eagles around open water in otherwise frozen rivers. They will roost in nearby trees, snatch fish from the river, and may eat on the ice, attracting gulls and crows.

I am sorry I do not know the specifics of eagle watching in Burlington.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bald Eagles

I live near the Des Moines river not far from the Mississippi.

Bald Eagles can be seen most of the winter here. I spend alot of time outside in the winter and see them often. I see them so often I dont even pay much attention anymore so can't really tell you when and under what circumstances they arrive and hang out here. They are a beautiful bird, for sure.

You can take a drive along the Des Moines river from Ottumwa down river through Eldon and down to Keosauqua. This can be done on all gravel roads and the road stays right on the rivers edge almost the entire way. Very little to no traffic so it would be great for stopping and watching.

edit to add....I don't know where the best place around Burlington is, sorry.

Edited: 12 December 2010, 01:13
USA
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bald Eagles

Yesterday, the river was almost all open from Princeton, IA to Davenport, a distance of about 25 miles. I saw very few eagles, although someone reported seeing two dozen of them in trees a little farther south. The temperature has plummeted today and should not get above 14 °F until Wednesday. With no thawing temperatures in sight the river should ice up quickly and eagles will congregate in larger numbers. When were you thinking of visiting, Itch?

I do not want to lure you away from Burlington, a great town, but I have more information about Quad City eagle viewing: www.visitquadcities.com/page.php?page_id=37 . I enjoyed the Mississippi River Visitor Center eagle watch and clock tower tour last year. A guide from the Corps of Engineers presented information at the Visitor Center with eagle viewing there and from the 1860's 6 story clock tower. A spotting scope was provided.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bald Eagles

Today on the Des Moines river between Eldon and Douds there were at least 30 perched in the trees.

Stronghurst...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bald Eagles

Hello! I am the tourism Coordinator for HendersonCounty, just across the river from Burlington IA. We would like to invite you to come to Henderson County to Eagle Watch . Offering free hot dogs and hot chocolate Feb 20th near lock 7 Dam 18. from 11am -2pm! Bring your binaculars and some friends!

There is also a bullitain already on site discribing the life of an Eagle!

We are eager to see you there!! Feb. 20th Sunday from 11am-2pm!

For further information call Miranda @ 309-924-2406

Stronghurst...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bald Eagles

Hello! I am the tourism Coordinator for HendersonCounty, just across the river from Burlington IA. We would like to invite you to come to Henderson County to Eagle Watch . Offering free hot dogs and hot chocolate Feb 20th near lock 7 Dam 18. from 11am -2pm! Bring your binaculars and some friends!

There is also a bullitain already on site discribing the life of an Eagle!

We are eager to see you there!! Feb. 20th Sunday from 11am-2pm!

Where the water is always open!

Lake in the Hills...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Bald Eagles

I was at the lock and dam just east of Burlington Iowa on Saturday. I highly recommend this area for eagle viewing. Never in my life seen so many eagles in one place in my life. I would have to say at least 200 sitting in trees, flying or sitting on ice. Took so many pictures but can't really describe to anyone how spectacular the site was. Need to see in person to witness the scene. I have seen 100 or so in Utica Il on the Illinois River and a dozen or so in some towns in Wisconsin along the Mississippi river, but none have come close to the site I saw this weekend.

Chillicothe...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bald Eagles

I am interested in seeing the eagles this winter and have heard burlington area is a great spot..does anyone know if they are in the area presently? its been pretty cold and the illinois river is getting icey.any information would be greatly appreciated,was thinking about driving over this weekend with the canon for some pictures if the big majestic birds are there..

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bald Eagles

I came across the I-80 bridge from IA to IL just north of Davenport yesterday and there were tons of eagles in the trees & on the river ice. People I visited with said there seems to be many more eagles in the Davenport area than in recent winters. I think you're safe going to the nearest Miss River area for eagle viewing, especially in this extreme cold weather.

Peoria, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Bald Eagles

thank you very much..were trying to do xmas shopping in burlington area and go do some picture taking all in one!!! very helpful :) thanks again

Reply to: Bald Eagles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Burlington