We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inaccurate $$$$$ ratings

1 post
1 review
4 helpful votes
inaccurate $$$$$ ratings
Save

I filtered my search for a one $ restaurant since I had 6 Kiddo's to feed on this trip. It was soooo wrong! after going out of our way waiting 1/2 hr. For a table at what was listed as one $ we couldn't get out of there for lessthan $13 each for breakfast.

2 replies to this topic
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
1. Re: inaccurate $$$$$ ratings
Save

Welcome to TA!

First, I'm not sure how you were able to get a filter for "$" for Scottsburg, IN restaurants - when pricing isn't even shown for the options. You can only get "All" for all 35 restaurants.

However, I think that the main issue is that you have assumed that "$" means entrée prices under $10 when it means entrée prices under $20.

Normally, on TA, when you use the "$" filter on restaurants with price ranges shown, it will bring up those with items under $20. Then when you scroll down the list of those "$" restaurants, usually more exact ranges are shown under the name in their descriptions. However, you should be aware that those are item prices - not total tabs - because you still need to add on beverage, tax and tip.

I noticed that you also made a poor review for a Louisville restaurant using the same reason. If you go back to the Louisville restaurants page and filter using the "$", you will receive a list of 57 restaurants. When you look at their descriptions, you will see that a large majority of them show ranges exceeding $10.

The best way to confirm menu pricing is to go to the particular restaurant's own website. But please keep in mind that most of them will have the disclaimer that prices can change at any time.

I wanted to mention these things to you so that you do not continue to be disappointed in those choices.

P.S. In Chicago and other large metropolitan areas, for some publications, the cent sign signifies restaurants with entrée prices of $20 or less.

Edited: 8 years ago
Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
90 reviews
160 helpful votes
2. Re: inaccurate $$$$$ ratings
Save

I'll also note that

a) downgrading a RESTAURANT (or anything) itself because of the listing on TA doesn't make sense. The restaurants don't create the listings here.

b) When you arrive at any restaurant, if price is a major concern, you can ask to look at a menu before waiting 30-60 minutes to be seated. This not only saves time, but spares embarrassment if you do decide that it's out of your range. (In many places, the menus are posted on the window.)

c) In this day and age, by the time you add drinks (which commonly add a lot to any meal) tax and tip, $13/person is pretty typical for a full breakfast at anything but the greasiest of spoons.

(And like ChiTown, I'm not sure what restaurant in Scottsburg you are talking about, since the town doesn't offer the ability to filter by price, and there are only a handful of non-chain places listed anyway.)

Reply to: inaccurate $$$$$ ratings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Scottsburg
Recent Conversations