We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reaching Mindat by car

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
650 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Reaching Mindat by car

I asked a couple of travel agencies the price for a car to Mindat and they told me that it is compulsory to have a 4x4 and they only reach the town with this type of car. I also asked a "freelance" driver and he told me that he can goes with his normal sedan car without any problem.

Do you know the road conditions ? I read somewhere that a new road was in contruction.

It will be in november, so rainy season should be over. Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Den Haag
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reaching Mindat by car

Roads in Myanmar are generally not good, and in mountains can be quite bad, potholed dirt roads. Haven't been to Mindat but in november should be dry weather and a good driver can probably manage. If not then you will have to push!

Maybe these travel agents have a point. There are local experts who can pitch in about this.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reaching Mindat by car

Road to Mindat is OK for any car , but Going around Chin State is surely not for any Car! All the roads in Chin State are not motor road.

yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
571 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reaching Mindat by car

Travelling to Chin state is better in any season by 4 WD.The weather is unexpected even in summer last May.We drove back all the slippery way starting from Mindat to Pauk town,half way to Bagan.

4WD and the higher car is the better for any seasons.Annually, the land slide happened when the rains come and renovation start in mid October.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 12:27
Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
363 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reaching Mindat by car

Considering there's daily minibuses (who are not 4WD) and even really old cargo buses running between Pakokku and Mindat, it's clear that you can also reach there with a non-4WD - but as SawYangon mentioned, a 4WD has many advantages, especially if you'd like to go any further than Mindat- if you only want to go to Mindat town itself, you're anyway much cheaper off to take the bus, it's around 10000 Kyat and takes maybe 1 hour more than a private car - which will cost you around 200.000 or even more - as, for the long distance Bagan-Mindat, most car companies charge the double daily rate, which is around 80000-120000 depending on the car (higher for a good new 4WD) ...

I personally went to Mindat by mini bus at all times of the year, even at peak of rainy season, and always reached there within a reasonable time frame

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
650 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reaching Mindat by car

Many thanks to everybody. LLJM77 actually I'm seriously taking into consideration to reach Mindati by bus from Pakokku. I only have a doubt: in the Lonely Planet guide there is written that there are no transport to/from Mindat on Sunday. Is it true or are they daily as you wrote ? I have to come back to Bagan compulsory on Sunday...

Reply to: Reaching Mindat by car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chin State