We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

Slovakia
14 posts
Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

Hello,

I worked hard and prepare a itinerary but I need help from all of you. We are 3 people and 1 baby:

1st day-14th May

At 16:00 airplane arrival. We took 4x4 rental car and directly go to Blue Lagoon.

Stay in Reykjavik.

2nd day-15th May

At 08:00 start the engine

Thingvellir National Park

Strokkur Geysir

Gullfoss

Kerid Crater

Reynisfjara black sand beach

At 18:00 reach Vik

Stay in Vik

3rd day-16th May

At 08:00 start the engine

Skaftafell

Jokulsarlon Ice beach

Turn back

Skogarfoss

At 18:00 reach Keflavik

Stay in Keflavik

4th day

Give the rental car back

08:00 flight

So here are my questions:

- Is it possible to make this trip in this time intervals? Is it too tight?

- Is there and F road on this itinerary?

- From kerid crater to Vik do I turn back to Reykjavik? If not what is the road condition (uphill,downhill, F road,allyear snowy vs.)

- Do I need insurance for sand winds?

- Do I forget to write down must sees on my way? If so what are they?

Thanks for your help. If I manage to do this trip successfully, I will write down my experiences about Iceland.

Boston...
Level Contributor
23,086 posts
729 reviews
1. Re: Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

No F road on this itinerary, save some money and get a 2wd drive car instead, no need for 4WD

Vik to Jokulsarlon to Keflavik is 9 hours of driving plus whatever stops you make for food/fuel/photos/bathroom. No way you can do that from 08:00 to 18:00 if you're going to eat or see anything that day. If you start earlier and end a couple hours later you can see some of the sights but you'll miss most. No Skogafoss or Seljanlandfoss?

You'll be going through areas that have sand and ash issues if it's windy, so you should take that insurance unless you like risk.

Germany
Level Contributor
332 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

@ 1: Too tight on day 3, Google estimates are way too short, add at least 25%, that may mean about 8 hours pure driving time. Too hard on all of you, especially the baby

@ 2 no F-roads anywhere on that route (they will be closed in May anyway)

@3 normal roads from Kerid to Vik, no need to turn back to Reykjavik

How old is the baby? Under 2s are not allowed into the water at the Blue lagoon.

All in all, reconsider your plan and rather take your time on day 3 for Skogafoss, Dyrholaey, Seljalandsfoss than trying to reach Jökulsarlon.

If Jökulsarlon is your reason to go, consider a lfight to Höfn to save on travelling time

Slovakia
14 posts
3. Re: Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

Thanks for your replies. They are too informative.

I really want to see ice beach. On May could we still see those ices on sand? Or will it be useless effort?

As far as I undersand your posts, we will have a option for continuing driving on day 2. So, If We stay in Hof instead of Vik, still is it too tight on day 3?

Slovakia
14 posts
4. Re: Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

Thanks for your quick and informative replies.

We really want to see ice beach. On May is it useless effort or do we still have the chance to see ices on sand?

As far as I understand, we have a chance to go a little bit further on day 2.

So, does staying in Hof instead of Vik make us comfortable for day 3. Is it worth to try?

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,811 posts
88 reviews
5. Re: Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

If you have three full days I would drive to Jökulsárlón on the first full day (after getting a good night's sleep) and stay close to there (maybe Hali or Gerði, around Skaftafell or Kirkjubæjarklaustur). On the second full day I would drive back and stay in Reykjavík or somewhere close to the Golden Circle. Divide up the South Coast sights you want to see, so you do some on the way to the glacier lagoon and some on the way back.

Then I would explore the Golden Circle on day 3 and stay close to the airport.

These will be very long driving days and you will have to be very quick to secure accommodation in the mentioned areas which may already be difficult.

Boston...
Level Contributor
23,086 posts
729 reviews
6. Re: Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

Ice is on the beach all year, depending on wave and wind conditions.

Slovakia
14 posts
7. Re: Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

Thanks for helpful advices. One more thing to ask. I thought that going Secret Lagoon instead of Blue Lagoon gives us more time Since We make half of the road on first day.

Do We miss too much if We go secret lagoon instead of Blue Lagoon? What are their pluses minuses?

Or could you offer another place to experience hot water swim?

Boston...
Level Contributor
23,086 posts
729 reviews
8. Re: Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

There are places to swim in hot water all over Iceland.

Blue Lagoon is famous for their milky blue water. They are also the most expensive place to swim in Iceland. Many people love it. Many others think it is a waste of time and money. Only you can decide if you "miss too much" by not going there.

Slovakia
14 posts
9. Re: Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

Thanks for your replies.

10. Re: Iceland 2,5 day itinerary, please help..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2018, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Capital Region