We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

romantic getaway - chicago or ...

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
316 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
romantic getaway - chicago or ...

Looking for suggestions on an anniversary trip for my husband and I. What would you recommend for a romantic getaway weekend in the city? We come up about 4-5 times a year so familiar with the main areas downtown - but this time I'm looking for something laid back, not the super crowded rush of people down Michigan Ave. ... I don't want to shop or even necessarily sightsee - just reconnect. What would you recommend?

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: romantic getaway - chicago or ...

Sorry, forgot to connect this to the headline! I guess as an alternate - if anyone is familiar with places around the city - 3 hr radius or so - that they would recommend for this type of trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,120 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: romantic getaway - chicago or ...

It sort of depends on your age bracket. In Chicago - Young: The Dana Hotel and Spa, "Undetermined Age": The Drake or The Belmont (in Lincoln Park). Break the bank: The Waldorf Astoria. Within Three hours of the City - eh? The Pere Marquette in Peoria or The Julian Dubuque in Dubuque, IA (the whirlpool suite of course).

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,120 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: romantic getaway - chicago or ...

Sorry, The Julien Dubuque is called just "The Julien" now.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: romantic getaway - chicago or ...

there is the standard set of resort towns: Lake Geneva, New Buffalo, Saugatuk...and the rest; however perusing fake olde timey shops with overpriced scented candles, novelty t-shirts, and fudge is my personal idea of hell. I would priceline a 4/5 star hotel, and take it easy in the city. catch a few shows, spend time at the beach and restaurants. You can do a leisurely trip to the city, just avoid navy pier, greektown/chinatown, and any sort of dinner cruise. spend an evening bar hopping in the Ukrainian Village, go to one of the amazing restaurants in Logan Square. Have a picnic in Lincoln park.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
69 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: romantic getaway - chicago or ...

There is a bed and breakfast in Rockton, Il, very near to Rockford, that is the most beautiful B & B my husband and I have ever stayed at (and we've stayed at many). It's a bit remote, but the grounds are gorgeous, and if you are looking to reconnect, this is the place. Can't recommend it enough. www.copperstoneinn.com Check it out.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: romantic getaway - chicago or ...

www.villadcitta.com is a beautiful bed and breakfast in Lincoln Park that provides a nice ambiance and gets you away from the No Mich/River North crowded areas. It's an opportunity to walk to more neighborhood restaurants through leafy streets looking at some of the lovely homes in the neighborhood. Shop some of the nice unique boutiques, art galleries, etc.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: romantic getaway - chicago or ...

if you still want access to the city, but want to lodge away from the chaos, you could stay here:

bbonline.com/united-states/…ravinia.html

and if you plan to come up during june, july or august, this will be just around the corner:

http://www.ravinia.org/Default2.aspx

but if you want to be somewhere 3 ish hours away from chicago, despite what #4 sez, go to southwest michigan.... chicago beaches a great for around here, but they definitely don't hold a candle to the beaches on the other side of the Lake, not by a long shot...

http://www.harborcountry.org/

http://www.beachtowns.org/

this place looks great---i checked it out, but never stayed....one day, tho....

http://www.innatunionpier.com/

you could go to lake geneva, galena or even door county, WI... but anywhere you go on the michigan coast, you will experience some spectacular sunsets over the water while romantically relaxing on the sugar sand beach, sipping on SW michigan wine (weather permitting, of course).....

need i say more?

Edited: 04 May 2012, 07:30
Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: romantic getaway - chicago or ...

Wow, HappiTraveler...that b&B looks amazing. Thanks.

9. Re: romantic getaway - chicago or ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:45