We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs/Restaurants

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Pubs/Restaurants

I'm headed to Chicago for 4 days in mid-December with my family (7 people total). We're looking for some cool pubs to hang out at... places that would be fun for a family (ranging from 25 years old to 55 years old) with a good variety of beer/cider. We're from Texas so we don't really have "pubs" here.

Additionally, any fun restaurants to try out? Nothing over $40 per person... more casual places preferred.

We're staying at the Hyatt Regency (151 E. Wacker Dr.) and will only be using public transportation.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs/Restaurants

haymarket brewery would be my pick for great beer

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs/Restaurants

On our recent visit, we enjoyed sampling the nice beer selection at The Gage (245 S Michigan Ave). More a gastropub, The Gage is set in a historic building from 1889 and was originally a millinery. There are some old posters on the way to the washrooms which are interesting. It is a beautiful space and we enjoyed ourselves. Good selection of beer, scotch, wine and seasonal cocktails.

Enjoy!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,949 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs/Restaurants

There are many "fun" restaurants here - all cuisines and within your price range. Check the restaurant listings at www.chicagoreader.com - you can search by area, cuisine, budget etc.

In addition, consider getting out of downtown and exploring some neighborhood dining spots - explorechicago.org/city/en/supporting_narrat…

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
632 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pubs/Restaurants

Need a taxi but consider Wilde, Twin Anchors, Corcorans, Duke of Perth.

ZB

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pubs/Restaurants

I like Miller's Pub on Wabash which is close to the Art Inst, Millenium Park, and State St. It will be decorated for Christmas and it has that dark wood, stained glass windows, long bar feel to it. Burgers are great and beer on tap is varied.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,055 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pubs/Restaurants

For a traditional Irish Pub, I would go to FADO and The Kerryman. Both downtown and in relative walking distance to your hotel.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pubs/Restaurants

Since it is Christmas time try to stop at Butch McGuires on Division just off of Rush St. It is a good bar with over the top X-Mas decorations. Plenty of other bars right there also, you should have fun. Across the street from Butch's is The Lodge which has an awesome jukebox and you can throw your peanut shells on the floor.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pubs/Restaurants

Definitely try The Gage. Great food, excellent bar and outstanding service.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,949 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pubs/Restaurants

Cruise around - http://www.chibarproject.com/ - for pub info.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pubs/Restaurants

Thanks everyone for the info!!! I'll look into all of your suggestions...