We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

N. Wells Street Old Town?

Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
N. Wells Street Old Town?

Hi, I'm renting an apartment for 10 days over Christmas for me and my fiancé. Am just checking to confirm that it is a nice neighborhood for a romantic christmas experience.

It is based in a little courtyard just off N.Wells Street in Old Town.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: N. Wells Street Old Town?

It is a good neighborhood. There are a lot of restaurants and bars on Wells that cater to the 30s & up crowd. The zoo & 2nd city are close and you will be less than a mile from N. Michigan Ave.

http://chicagovisitor.net/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: N. Wells Street Old Town?

Jetkid - I take it she said yes... Care to share the details of your Chicago proposal.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
569 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: N. Wells Street Old Town?

Absolutely safe. Sounds like you are talking about Burton Place.

Numerous restaurants and bars. Not to miss are Adodo Grill, Old Towne Ale House, Corcoran's, Bistro Margot and Second City. Also OK are Salpicon and Topo Gigio and Dinotto's.

ZB

Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: N. Wells Street Old Town?

Thanks very much for the info.

..And yes, I'm pleased to say she did infact say yes.

I took her for a meal at the 95th, cab ride to buckingham fountain, then I popped the question during the 10pm light show with the skyline in the background. Once a lovely couple asked us if we wanted some photos taken, to then be emailed to us, I had a horse and carriage waiting for us to take us back to our hotel. :) A night neither of us will forget, I'm sure. Thanks for asking :)

Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: N. Wells Street Old Town?

Oh, and I believe it's called Gaslight Court or something...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: N. Wells Street Old Town?

What a wonderful proposal. Thanks for sharing. A traveler and romantic too -what more could a girl want.

Edited: 24 October 2011, 00:23
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
43,015 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: N. Wells Street Old Town?

Gaslight Court is the historic 1900-era brick complex in the middle of Old Town at 1407 N. Wells.

8. Re: N. Wells Street Old Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 10:47