We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Union Station to Red line

Beverly Hills, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Walking from Union Station to Red line

Hello:

I'll be coming to Chicago for the first time in April.

I'm thinking of saving over $100 and flying into MKE instead of Chicago airports.

I can take the Hiawatha train from MKE to Union Station. Then, to start getting a feel for the city, I thought I'd walk down to the Red line at Jackson & State. From there, I can take the Red line towards Wrigley Field then walk to the hotel (the Majestic).

Is this a ridiculous plan? Is it a cost effective way to get to the hotel from MKE?

Thanks!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,489 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Union Station to Red line

Depends on the value of your time. How much is your train ticket? You're at the mercy of the Amtrak schedule. It's about a 15 minute walk from Wrigley to your hotel.

If you flew into ORD - you'd take a CTA blue line train to Addison. Transfer to an eastbound bus on Addison which stops at Wrigley Field. That takes about an hour.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Union Station to Red line

Bad idea, fly to ohare, amtrak is often late

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,096 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Union Station to Red line

It's not a wise savings. That's like flying into John Wayne Airport instead of LAX and catching a Pacific Surfliner into LA. Except that the Surfliners are more frequent and on time. Find a flight into Midway or O'Hare and take the Chicago Transit train to the Loop.

Edited: 25 February 2011, 07:04
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Union Station to Red line

Plus, how do you plan to get from the Milwaukee airport to the train station. That's gotta cost something. I know the airport there is a bit out of the city. I don't think you would be saving any money, and all the hassle would be a pain. Fly into Chicago.

S

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,489 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Union Station to Red line

Amtrak stops at Mitchell Field. www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/rail/mars.htm

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,521 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Union Station to Red line

It's not really that much of a savings when you factor in the cost of the Amtrak ticket, which, if you are flying round-trip in and out of Milwaukee, will run you I think somewhere around $40 round trip. Plus you have to hope you don't run into major plane delays which would cause you to miss the last train of the day.

If you do go that route, another option to your hotel would be to walk west from Union Station to Halsted and take the #8 Halsted bus. Halsted is 800 west and the bus runs to Waveland, just north of Addison.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking from Union Station to Red line

Good info to know Dave. Thanks

S

Johnsburg
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking from Union Station to Red line

How do I walk from Union Station to the redline to go to Wrigley?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,096 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking from Union Station to Red line

The South side of Union Station is Jackson St. Walk across the River and it's 6 blocks to State St. In the Loop the Red Line is the State St. Subway. Take the train to Addison (toward Howard).

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking from Union Station to Red line

Just like OP said-east on Jackson to Jackson and State Red Line CTA station.