We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me make it simpler to get around...

Miramar, Florida
Level Contributor
95 posts
54 reviews
29 helpful votes
Help me make it simpler to get around...
Save

Greetings! We’ve decided to add some activities; MSID, Uof Chicago, Hyde Park; Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium. We are intrigued by the train as a mode of transportation. We are staying in the north Michigan area. I’m already confused with CtA & Metra and bus. What would be the best mode(s) or combinations of the listed to use? We’ll be in the city for four days so any recommended train/ bus pass would be helpful. Thanks.

35 replies to this topic
Chicago
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
80 reviews
98 helpful votes
1. Re: Help me make it simpler to get around...
Save

Field Museum and Shedd are in walking distance from each other and the 146 bus goes from north Michigan avenue to the museum campus. But not all 146 busses go there so just ask the driver when you get on if he is going to museum campus. The 10 bus takes you to MSI which is in Hyde Park and a quick walk to the UC campus.

chicago
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
28 reviews
42 helpful votes
2. Re: Help me make it simpler to get around...
Save

Just use Google maps. Easy breezy.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
25 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Help me make it simpler to get around...
Save

Don’t take the Green Line CTA train to Hyde Park/MSI/UC. If you take a train, take Metra Electric.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
449 reviews
117 helpful votes
4. Re: Help me make it simpler to get around...
Save

The #10 bus to MSI is seasonal. It stops running after Labor Day. If your visit is later than that, to get to MSI and Hyde Park, you could take either the Metra Electric train from Millennium Station or stick with CTA buses. The train is faster if the schedule works for you. If you go by CTA bus you'd need to take the #146 to State St (the stop at State/Lake, for instance) where you'd transfer to the #6 Jackson Park Express.

Edited: 15 August 2021, 17:00
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
449 reviews
117 helpful votes
5. Re: Help me make it simpler to get around...
Save

Regarding passes, the CTA has 1, 3 and 7 day passes. Now thru Labor Day, they are having promotional fares with an unlimited ride, 3-day pass for $15. After Labor Day , the same pass will be $20.

https://www.transitchicago.com/passes/

Metra Electric is a different transportation system, so CTA passes are not accepted on it.

Vista, California
Level Contributor
7,325 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Help me make it simpler to get around...
Save

Drive, nuffsaid.

Chicago
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
80 reviews
98 helpful votes
7. Re: Help me make it simpler to get around...
Save

Ridiculous to drive. Nuff said.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
21,583 posts
137 reviews
98 helpful votes
8. Re: Help me make it simpler to get around...
Save

OK, you’re staying in River North, Magnificent Mile or Streeterville, somewhere near North Michigan Ave. The Field and the Shedd are in the museum Campus just south of Grant Park. You can walk to the Museum Campus through Millennium and Grant Park or take the 146 bus. The call board on the front of the bus will say to “146 to Museum Campus”. South of the River at Michigan Ave and Lake St. you catch the Metra Train (Metra is regional transit) to MSI . Metra Electric Line trains to and from downtown Chicago stop at the 55th/56th/57th Street station, just two blocks from the Museum's north entrance.  You can find this information on the MSI web site.

Vista, California
Level Contributor
7,325 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Help me make it simpler to get around...
Save

"Ridiculous to drive. Nuff said"

No reason? How about easier than standing in the rain waiting for a bus? How about one's safety? How about the freedom to go to a near by attraction without waiting for public transit that may not exist?

Now your turn.

Chicago
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
80 reviews
98 helpful votes
10. Re: Help me make it simpler to get around...
Save

Yes, if it’s raining, unsafe, public transportation doesn’t exist, then I would agree with you. But this isn’t the case here.

Reply to: Help me make it simpler to get around...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.